Knee pain

Options
lyndab
lyndab Member Posts: 7
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hello hope you are all well.

would it be possible to have some tips for my knee pain. I cannot sleep and it’s really getting me down I have tried Naproxen and Codeine but neither work for me. Also trying Nefopam but I am getting insomnia and feel sick so looks like that is not working. The hospital sent me to the gym but I am worried it’s making my right knee worse

could anyone help please thanks

Comments

• Tom
    Tom Member Posts: 522
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @lyndab . I understand that you have knee pain, unresponsive to prescription pain killers and are having problems sleeping.

In addition, you have unpleasant side effects from the drugs.

Here is information on knee pain:

and more on exercise:

Exercise works by strengthening the muscles supporting the effected joint, so it takes time and regularity.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Tom, Moderator.

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398
    Options

Hi Lyndab,

In addition to Tom's helpful reply to your post, have you read up on the article about pain management options on the website? It really is very informative and useful:

You don't say what sort of Arthritis you are diagnosed with and what it is you're doing up the gym that you fear is making the symptoms worse, knowing a little more about your condition could help us to be more specific in our comments.

I have OA in both my knees and am awaiting a double knee replacement. I suffered as you did, frequently waking at night with aching, hot and throbbing legs or because I'd rolled over in my sleep causing pain so getting it under control is going to be vital to your quality of life as well as your mental health. I'm on Naproxen, Omeprazole and Co-Codemol but those aren't enough on their own and I suspect this may be the case for you as well.

As you will see from the article, there are many things you can try out but ultimately a lot of this is going to be down to self-help and determination.

Good luck and please do check in with more info if you want to.

Jon

• lyndab
    Options

Thanks very much, it’s Ostio Arthritis, I used Naproxen but it disagreed with me then had Nefopam that was no good so back on Codeine. I cannot sleep at night it is much worse.I was Referred by my doctor to hospital but the MSK department at hospital have rejected it I am furious about it I did not know they could do this.

Thanks for your reply much appreciated

Lynda

• jonr
    Options

Very sorry to hear you've been rejected by your local MSK department, I was too and what I've since learned is that unbelievably, the power to help lies with individual health professionals based on their judgement. Some only believe in treatment when a patient's condition becomes chronic, others take a more preventative approach.

I would highly recommend you go back to your GP, express your disappointment that it shouldn't take for you to be paralysed before further intervention is deemed necessary and ask instead for a referral to Connect Health. This is what happened in my own case a few months ago. Connect Health is a company attached to the NHS which handles some areas as a bit of a fast track service. If you Google them, their website will come up. If your GP refers you, be sure to phone your local branch (these are listed online with a postcode search) to arrange an initial consultation. I would highly recommend a F2F meeting and lay it on thick so they take you seriously and fast-track you through the system. Talk about quality of life, mental health and impact on coping, work and personal relationships which are all tick boxes for further investigation and treatment.

I wish you well, please let us know how it goes

Jon

• lyndab
    Options

So very sorry only just seen your reply. That’s a good tip wish I had seen it.

I was so fed up of getting no help I paid private for a consultation and the consultant said your knee has had it it’s deformed. Just shows you I knew how bad it was. Anyway I have been referred to the nhs and my operation is in September thank goodness. My doctor wasn’t interested it’s so bad they said my knee was mild.

I will look at that website

Thanks so much for your reply I do appreciate your advice.

kind regards

Lynda

• Jeanni
    Jeanni Member Posts: 2
    Options

I have O/A in both knees and despite my complaining to my GP nothing happened so I went privately for Cortisone injections. However, as Xrays showed bone on bone the injections did not work. I cannot have an operation as I have COPD and may not survive the anaesthetic and I am not strong enough to cope with the post op exercises so I’m stumped. Currently taking 8 paracetamol a day interspersed with Morphine Sulphate but little relief from either.

Any advice would be very welcome but I think it will mean a wheelchair. One good thing is that I don’t suffer at night but I lay still attached to a CPAP machine with Oxygen,

• CarylW
    CarylW Member Posts: 274
    Options

Welcome to our online forum @Jeanni. I am glad you have found us, and are already talking to members about their experience of arthritis.

I understand you have osteoarthritis in both knees and are being treated with paracetamol and morphine sulphate. As you have COPD you are unable to have an anaesthetic.

Below I have posted some information on arthritis in the knees which I hope you will find helpful. You can also explore the information on our website by clicking on the box at the top left of this screen.

Do let us know how you get on. We look forward to hearing from you.

Caryl

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• jonr
    Options

No problem @lyndab, glad you've got a date for your operation.

@Jeanni - you may be alright with anaesthetic as it will probably be a local, not general so far less risk to you.

Doing the exercises and physio is ultimately the best thing to help the tendons and muscles around your knees prop your weakened knee up but as you say, it can be very painful so the answer is decent pain management.

I can highly recommend you read up on the "Managing your condition" part of the website, there is a great deal of information about supplements, prescribed meds, diet and aids which can help you get your pain under control.

For me, I've found some things to be more effective than others - a TENS machine, deep tissue massaging gun, FlexiSeq gel, knee supports and Acupuncture plus Naproxen, Boswelia, Turmeric, CBD and Bromelain capsules all working together to allow me at the age of 56 in need of 2 total knee replacements to lead a very active life. It's a case of trial and error but there is hope.

Jon

• lyndab
    Options

Thanks so much to you all appreciate all your tips kind regards