Hot or Cold? What works for you?

Options
Engin
Engin Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

First of all, please allow me to introduce myself. I am Engin and I have been a member of the club for over 35 years.

I have osteoarthritis on my knees and chronic pain is adversely affecting my quality of life. I have been trying a number of methods to alleviate my pain. One thing is really surprising me! I may need hot and cold treatment. When can I apply heat when can I apply cold? Are they opposite to each other?

I have today talked to some fitness instructions at the gym.

I would be grateful if you could kindly help me. Your kind consideration will be highly appreciated in this matter.

Tagged:

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 992
    Options

Hello @Engin and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have osteoarthritis of the knees and been trying various ways to relieve the pain, and wondering whether hot or cold works best? I am sure people on here will share their thoughts and support as well.

In the meantime have you tried Capsaicin cream? It is available on prescription and is based on chilis, have a look through the following article.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will provide their support and thoughts on hot and cold packs.

Best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options

Hi @Engin . My experience is that heat helps pain and ice helps inflammation.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398
    Options

Hi Engin,

In general, when my knees are hot and achy I apply cold icepacks wrapped in tea towels or packets of peas. Cold seems to be more effective than heat which I find is good for stiffness, usually a wheat bag and gels/ointments like Tiger Balm.

It's a case of trial and error I'm afraid but that's how and when I turn to hot and cold treatments.

• Engin
    Options

when to apply heat, when cold? how long , how many time? What way is the best ay to apply? Thank you/Engin

• stickywicket
    Options

Whenever I've had a particularly swollen joint (eg knees post-op) I've applied ice (avoiding any scars or open wounds) using a bag of frozen peas wrapped in a tea towel.

When it's just pain, I use a wheatbag directly on the joint. I think common sense will tell you how often. Basically, as often as needed when you have time to sit down and nurse the joint. Maybe the heat will get the joint relaxed ready for exercises.

Steven Wright
  • Engin
    Options

Good afternoon all.

I have a question! Is "denervation" injection good for osteoarthritis? I have been suffering for 5-6 years from my condition. Why have I been offered "denervation" a bout two months ago? Why not before?

Did anybody tried it before? Any improvements?

I will be hugely thankful if you could help me.

Kind regards/Engin

• CarylW
    CarylW Moderator Posts: 272
    Options

Hello @Engin

I hope that you get some replies to your post from people with experience of denervation. It's a new one on me but I found this NHS information https://www.wsh.nhs.uk/CMS-Documents/Patient-leaflets/PainService/5358-2DenervationProcedures.pdf - I hope it explains more for you.

Do let us know how you get on with this.

Best wishes

Caryl

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    Options
    Steven Wright
  • Chris32
    Chris32 Member Posts: 16
    edited 9. Apr 2024, 11:41
    Options

I agree. I find that im my case, heat helps, particularly if applied during gentle exercise/movement while seated.