New Diagnosis

Options
Kim_c62
Kim_c62 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hello, I have just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my right hand, on my hand knuckle which I understand is usually Rheumatoid. I am a bit panicky at the minute wondering how I am going to manage at work as I am office based. I am currently in pain with the area all swollen (been like this since January) and the doctor has prescrobed me pain killers but offered no advice. I am wondering how any one here manages the work situation, any advice gratefully received!

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 763
    Options

Hello @Kim_c62 welcome to the online community

You have been diagnosed with OA in your hand and are concerned about how you are going to manage at work which is office based.The GP has prescribed pain killers but no advice , so welcome to the community where there are numbers of our members who have various hand conditions and I am sure they will be happy to share their tips and experiences with you.

I attach a link about your work place situation, which gives you guidance about informing your HR department etc. Also a link about hand supports for computer work and finally information about OA of the hand and exercises that will benefit your condition

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteoarthritis-of-the-hand-and-wrist/

There is a small section about working with a computer and lots of information about aids in the home which I hope is not too daunting . So maybe start with a wrist splint support and see if that helps.

Some of our members use heat pads and cool packs which you might find helpful to ease your hand during a tea break. We often say it is trial and error , so let us know how you get on, we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Take care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

I'm not sure about hand knucle pain usually being rheumatoid. I started with RA in my fingers many years ago. But, if you'vs been told it is, you need a refereal to a rheumatologist.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Lisamac
    Lisamac Member Posts: 16
    Options

Hi Kim_c62

Osteoarthritis is more common than Rheumatoid. Rheumatoid quite often starts in the hands but not always, both cause pain and swelling. If your doctor says it's OA it probably is but if you are concerned ask to be referred to a rheumatologist.

I have two types of arthritis, OA and an inflammatory arthritis both affect my hands. You can get fingerless support gloves that may help and ones you can wear at night. I couldn't cope with the support ones as they were too painful. I wear soft cotton gloves at night which helps keep the swelling down, I don't know how they work but they do.

Hope this helps

Lisa

• Kim_c62
    Kim_c62 Member Posts: 3
    Options

@Lisamac thank you. I have read both here and on the NHS site that it is very unusual for osteoarthritis to be in the knuckle where the finger joins the hands, so I have been a bit worried. The stiffness and pain has been ongoing since January despite me using my left hand more. I tried the compression gloves but like you they made the pain worse. Are the cotton gloves you use just normal ones? I work with a keyboard, mouse and payment machine for most of my day at work and by late morning I can barely move my index finger and it hurts the side of my knuckle to hold a pen. Thank you for any advice on this!

• Lisamac
    Lisamac Member Posts: 16
    Options

Hi Kim_c62

The gloves I wear are just normal soft cotton ones. Amazon, the cheapest you can find, I say cheapest because they are not very well made so they are loose, the expensive ones are too well fitting and are tighter. I think the gloves help because your hands will stay warm and heat is good for arthritis. I have learnt over the years that I mustn't get cold, it might not hurt too much while I'm actually cold but boy do I suffer after.

Were you diagnosed after an x-ray or did your doctor just examine your hand and just say you have OA? If you didn't have an x-ray, go back to your doctor and ask for one, tell him/her you are worried it might be RA. If they ask why you are worried, don't say you read it somewhere tell them your uncle had it. It may be a white lie but they have to put a reason on their paperwork and reading it somewhere is not a good enough reason for them to do any investigations. If there is damage to the bone in your knuckle they can tell on an x-ray which arthritis it is by the damage it has done.

Obviously the painkillers your doctor gave you are not working, so go back and tell them, be polite and tell them the pills are not working could you try something else.

I am sorry to tell you this but if it is OA or RA, it's not going away. Arthritis is a life changing disease but it doesn't mean it's going to be awful. You just have to learn how to handle it, which means, getting the right medication, getting the right help when you need it, there is lots of help out there and in here.

Independent living have a website https://www.independentliving.co.uk/suppliers/ and depending on where you live they have centres where you can go and try things out and they are very helpful, they may have something that will help your hand, they have things to help put on your socks, that might sound strange but when you have difficulties with your hands and you might know this already but putting on socks is hard work, they have grab sticks to pick things up, I couldn't live without my grab stick , it comes in handy for all sorts of things. If I drop something on the floor I can just about bend down to pick it up but if it's small I've got no chance. I cannot pick a penny up or a piece of paper so I just reach for my grab stick, it's great.

Hope this helps

Take care

Lisa