adalimumab

Lynzyfitz
Lynzyfitz Member Posts: 4
edited 1. Jun 2023, 14:22 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone, hope you are all doing ok. Im due to start adalimumab and just wondering what other people's experiences are ? Getting a bit nervous about starting it

Comments

• Lisamac
    Lisamac Member Posts: 16

Hi Lynzyfitz

I hadn't heard of adalimumab so had to look it up. Don't be nervous but do find out all you can about it so you know what to expect and what to do if you have side effects.

I'll tell you what my rheumatologist said to me because I was nervous about taking methotrexate. She said. 'the inflammation you have will cause more damage than anything I can give you and if it doesn't work for you we will try something else. So basically, you will not be given something that is not safe but some people have side effects.

I had to stop methotrexate because of side effects so I'm looking for alternatives.

I hope it works for you and I hope this helps ease your mind a little.

Lisa

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 691

Hi @Lynzyfitz

I know everyone is different so may react differently so this is just my personal circumstance.

I've been on the adalimumab biosimilar Amgevita since late July 2021 for psoriatic arthritis - PsA. It's a biosimilar which means it's made by a company (Amgen) other than the original manufacturer (AbbVie) who made the original drug Humira. At the time I could only walk on crutches, couldn't close my hands properly and had difficulty moving my shoulders. I'd been in hospital 4 times in 7 months with these symptoms. Three weeks after my first injection I began to notice a difference and two months after starting it I took great delight in handing back my crutches. I'm not cured, nor fixed but I now have a quality of life I can live with. My joints still ache - at times more so - but at least I'm mobile and can walk 50-60kms a week with my dog - albeit with a limp. It leaves me immunocompromised but I just ensure I'm careful in where I go and what I do.

I think it's a bit of a guessing game as to what works for each patient - the rheumatology nurse who I've dealt with most said to me it was good the first biologic they tried worked for me and that they had 7 to choose from. I met someone recently also with PsA who was now onto his 4th biologic.

So based on my own experience I'd say go for it and I hope it works for you.

• Lynzyfitz

Thankyou for your reply , yes I started off on methotrexate but it caused inflammation of my lungs so had to stop, I've been on sulfasalazine since October but hasn't made a difference, I blame my rheumatologist as even though I told him that myself and my doctor thought I had rheumatoid arthritis because of the swelling and pain in my knees he dismissed it saying no. I went 2 years in excruciating pain with no steroids or arthritis medication until I couldn't actually move my legs due to excruciating pain and had to be admitted to hospital, he then afterwards apologised, not good enough , how much damage has been caused in those 2 years

• Lynzyfitz

Thankyou so much Jamie, I'm so glad it has made a big difference to your life 😊 im praying it works for me

• Jem26
    Jem26 Member Posts: 11

Hi lynzyfitz

Hope you are ok and doing well

On the Adalimimab I have been on sulphazaline for 20yrs and methotrexate for 14 weeks but at my recent check up was told methotrexate is not working as it should so wanting to add adalimumab so interested how you are getting on.

Take care 🙂