Chrondomalacia?

Options
Peppercorn
Peppercorn Member Posts: 19
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hello all

I have hip dysplasia and had a THR in 2021 which has turned out well. My knees were under ‘stress’ until I could get my op as I was walking badly (delayed due to COVID) and one knee never recovered (grinding, crunching, discomfort but no pain, full movement). I have had to pay for private X-ray and MRI as the NHS wouldn’t look at it. It looks like I have chrondomalacia (kneecap damage) but no loss of joint space (I have cracks in the cartilage). It seems quite advanced in terms of deep cracks. I’m waiting to see a surgeon this week (privately again) to discuss options and get a true diagnosis. I am absolutely terrified.

I am really struggling mentally having already gone through a THR in my thirties. Apparently my actual knee is fine, it’s part of my kneecap that isn’t. Due to patellar tracking and weak muscles, which I’m already in PT for.

Does anyone have this and is it arthritis? I can’t get a straight answer. Some say yes, some no, some say it’s pre arthritis…

Is there any way to treat it successfully or am I going back on the arthritis train again?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

I've never heard of this so I had a google. If you google Oxford University Hospital Patellofemoral Pain Syndromè there will be a Pdf doc of theirs on it. (I've no idea how to link to a Pdf doç). It's very comprehensive and, reading it, I'd be very wary of a private surgeon who advocated surgery foŕ it. Personally, I'd wait and see what the NHS says and do the exercises while waiting. Or engage a physio to advise.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    Options

Steven Wright
  • Peppercorn
    Peppercorn Member Posts: 19
    Options

Hi wicket,

I’m already in PT and have improved. Im afraid I’m beyond PPS and actually have cartilage damage, but it’s softening and cracks rather than reduced joint space. I’m just seeing the surgeon to get a firm diagnosis from him and some ideas, no plans to rush into surgery! Just very frightened and have no idea what the future might hold now…

• stickywicket
    Options

I'm sorry. I don't think I can suggest anything then. I thought that osteomalacia patellae actually WAS cartilage damage.

Steven Wright