Starting medication tomorrow

Options
charisanne
charisanne Member Posts: 1
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone. I’m 46 but have been struggling for 5 years and have just been diagnosed following an ultrasound. I’ve been prescribed sulfasazaline which I begin taking tomorrow. I feel like I’ve learned to cope with the pain but will be relieved if medication will bring me some relief. I’m frustrated that I can’t do the things I once could as a dancer. I’m concerned about side-effects and the future. My family feel confused about where it has come from as there’s no family history of rheumatoid arthritis.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

I could be wrong but I think it's not simply a matter of having RA in the family. There's none in mine either. Except me! But, if there are other autoimmune diseases, I think we can inherit a genetic disposition to develop one if we come into contact with a precipitating factor. Is there any multiple sclerosis, asthma, type 1 diabetes etc etc in your family? Mind you, it can also rock up out of the blue.

I hope the sulf works. I take methòtrexate and hydroxychloroquine.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Wasabuilder
    Options

I had no idea there was a relationship between arthritis and type 1 diabetes, both are very prevalent in my family.