Cold water swimming

Options
Pjx
Pjx Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Took up sea swimming over the winter but am now wondering whether I am getting more aches and pains rather than less!

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,022
    Options

hello @Pjx and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

First of all I think you are very brave😁 I have heard that it is supposed to be good for you, so I hope other that the aches and pains you are enjoying it. Is this something new? Just wondering if the aches and pains are just your body getting used to the new exercise. In any case if you are in doubt I would suggest you talk to your GP or Consultant and check it out with them. In the meantime have a look at the following articles from our website which might help.

and for pain management you could have a look through https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/managing-your-pain/ to see if any of that helps.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

With best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

Cold water swimming seems to be quite trendy and I can see there might be health benefits for the ...er...healthy. But, given that the hydrotherapy pool where I used to have my sessions was so warm (to make it easier for muscles to do the exercises) that we had to lie down, cocooned in towels - wonderful! - for 10 mintes afterwards (Something to do with BP, I think) I can see that, in cold water, everything probably has to work extra hard. Maybe that's why it's beneficial to the healthy!

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 763
    Options

Hi @Pjx

Check out the new link on Lets Move . It has a Swim App and lots of information in association with Swim England.

Poppyjane ( Moderator)

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.