Best medication for RA?

Options

I've been on sulfasalazine for almost 5 years now, which managed my symptoms well until recently. My arthritis seems to have spread to joints it didn't affect previously so I'm contemplating a change of medication. My consultant wanted to put me on methotrexate previously which I've resisted as I've heard some negative stories regarding the side effects. Has anyone had success with methotrexate, and what kind of side effects have you experienced? Is there another medication anyone has had success with? Seeing my nurse on Friday and want to discuss options with her.

Comments

• Dannii28
    Dannii28 Member Posts: 65
    Options

Evening @leahjackson

Welcome to the Online Community Forum, so pleased you have found us, you will find there are lots of resources and information available to you, please feel free to have a look around the website.

I see you are considering changing to methotrexate.

I have attached a link below which you may find useful.

I would also suggest having a look around the other forums as there might be other members that are going through the same thing as you and be able to share their own advice and experiences.

Let us know how you get on

Dannii (mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options

There are lots of meds but methotrexate is the usual starting one as it's tried and tested and, on the whole works very well. I've been on it and hydroxychloroquine for over 20 years. Best thing I did.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,466
    Options

Most of us have tried or are on Methotrexate @leahjackson of course there are potential side effects as there are even with paracetamol, but not everyone gets them. If you do have any we all have tips to offer to help. It is I think considered the gold standard treatment.

I am pretty sure we all have to have at least tried it before we can go on to any of the stronger stuff.

There are other DMARDs you can try though they are all in this information.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Toni x