Upcoming event to explore the history of arthritis treatment

Options
PeterJ
PeterJ Administrator Posts: 883

Saturday 20 May 2023 12:00 - 14:00

Wellcome Collection, 183 Euston Road, London

NW1 2BE

The event, run by Wellcome and partnered by Versus Arthritis, will take a look back at the history of research into rheumatoid arthritis treatment.

Research funded by Versus Arthritis led to the development of a new class of drugs, anti-TNF biologics, which have transformed the treatment of inflammatory arthritis and improved the lives of almost 2 million people worldwide.

In 1985, it was discovered that the molecule TNFα plays a key role in triggering joint inflammation. In the decades following this discovery, anti-TNF drugs were developed and trialled, and in 1999 the first anti-TNF treatment, infliximab, was approved for use in treating rheumatoid arthritis. In the last 20 years, many more anti-TNF drugs have been released, which are now used to treat several inflammatory conditions including psoriatic arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis.

Wellcome has put together an amazing collection of materials which document the history of anti-TNF research, using archives from Kennedy Trust and scientific, historic and personal perspectives to tell the story of anti-TNF treatment. For people with arthritis, not only will this be an interesting and inspiring event, but an opportunity to share their thoughts on anti-TNF treatment. You can book your free ticket to explore this collection here:

Exploring the History of Rheumatoid Arthritis Treatment Tickets, Sat 20 May 2023 at 12:00 | Eventbrite

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options

Shame I am a million miles from London this looks good 👍️

• Arthuritis
    Arthuritis Member Posts: 444
    Options

@frogmorton I’ll try to post pictures or other content from it here, I am only 15 minutes from there!

• Arthuritis
    Arthuritis Member Posts: 444
    Options

Incidentally the Kennedy Institute of Rheumatology also receives funding from Versus Arthritis and I think sponsors one Post doc researcher.

If you think about rheumatoid inflammation as an annoyingly loud CO alarm bell that keeps ringing, most researchers are looking into developing solutions to dampen it. Kennedy Institute is one of the very few that looks to find the cause, what triggers it, and address that. Prof Patrick Vendables there is leading in this research. It would be nice to hear a video presentation from him on the latest news.

• squirelnutkins
    Options

So sorry too far away to attend

Could you not record it and Email out to those interested

Would like more information on osteo arthritis which is often forgotten and ??drugs to treat it apart from anti inflammatory ie Ibuprofen which we are then told should not take long term ?????