Pain relief

Options

Anyone tried tens machine for hip arthritis - desperate for help, no medication works

Comments

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 522
    Options

Hi @Nicj

I have had a tens machine for many years and currently using it for my hips in conjunction with Tramadol and paracetamol. I can't take anti inflammatories so meds are limited

It's good in the middle if the night when sleep is missing and it's currently worn most days and used as necessary

Mine's a boots own brand, wired, and has tens, massage and Ems options although I've only used tens and massage.

Disadvantages are the belt clip is useless so i have a small cross body bag that makes life easier. With a bit of jiggling you can thread wires through sleeves of dresses and up over jeans and leggings etc. Bit of a faff with the pads sometimes sticking to underwear as it's easier to have wires under then rather than over them. Wouldn't recommend using it while driving.

Cons you can have it with you and use all day as necessary by using a small bag and it gives you an extra boost between meds and doesn't knock you out like some meds and you just place pads where it hurts. You an adjust the intensity tisuit your pain. Brilliant if you're doing something special and don't want to be doped up too much.

I've added a photo if mine fyi

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,418
    Options

I am on I think my third tens machine. They have all helped over the years with certain things. Not every pain, but some like my back. I suppose more for the grinding pains.

Over time I have had to turn the power up to dull the pain to be fair.

The other main thing I swear by is my microwavable wheatbag.

Take care and best of luck

Toni x

• MaureenB
    MaureenB Member Posts: 29
    Options

Hi I have had both hips replaced but found my TENS machine invaluable. I used a wireless one from Lloyds the chemist, you can get them online. They only offer one option but are good if you are out and about or exercising which I did despite the pain. The wired versions often give different types of pulses which some people find useful.

You could ask your GP about capsaicin cream which you can get on prescription. It is good for pain control but it burns a bit as its chilli based. You can get it in Greece without prescription but it is the full strength and needs to be 'watered down' with a moisturiser. Also if you have high blood pressure it is not recommended. The stuff you see sold on the internet is not not manufactured in the EU so not quality controlled

• Baloo
    Baloo Member Posts: 393
    Options

Out of interest does the TENS machine tense up the muscles, as this is supposed to support the joints anyway, or is it just electrical. The reason I ask is you could get the same muscle result from just tensing up, except you would still have to remember to be doing it.

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

I tried a TENS machine for a while before my hip surgery, but I'm afraid I got no benefit from it at all. it probably depends on the level of joint damage and where the wear is worst in the joint. I think their main function is stimulating blood supply to promote healing (correct me if I'm wrong). You just get a sort of tickling buzzing sensation where the sticky pads are applied. Top tip - pull the contacts out of the machine before you turn it off - if you leave them on and turn the dial the wrong way it really makes you jump! (You won't get electrocuted, just super-buzzed!)

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398
    Options

I've copied this text from the NJS website, hope it helps:

"The electrical impulses can reduce the pain signals going to the spinal cord and brain, which may help relieve pain and relax muscles. They may also stimulate the production of endorphins, which are the body's natural painkillers"

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

Thanks for correcting me @jonr , I was wrong after all! :-)

• Jobyna
    Jobyna Member Posts: 16
    Options

Hi Trish9556

I've been thinking of a TENS machine again. Had one years ago. I've just looked on Boots website and can't see anything that looks like the photo you've shown. Is it a fairly recent purchase and did you get it direct from a Boots store or did you get it online?

Desperate for a bit of relief now as it's been nearly a four year wait for my THR and no signs of when it will be, and at 80 lots of other things are cropping up but it is a long term back ache that's screaming at me more than the hip pain! Still keep battling on with anything I can still do around the house and garden, and caring for my new rescue 10 year old Border Terrier Maggie (mad as a hatter). At least she ensures I get out and about and stops me feeling sorry for myself!

Maureen B capsaicin cream was prescribed to me some time ago and caused more pain than I have ever witnessed before! Doctors came to the conclusion I must be allergic to chilli!

Jobyna

• jonr
    Options

Hello Jobyna,

For TENS machines, Lloyds Pharmacy stock a good range fyi.

• MaureenB
    MaureenB Member Posts: 29
    Options

Hello Jobyna

sorry to hear about the capsaicin cream experience but it did work for me and other people I know.

Re TENS machines ; I used the wireless version for exercise before my first hip replacement and the consultant said then that my hip was as bad as it could get. It did not remove the pain but lessened it. And you can wear it all day if you want. The wireless version is convenient but basic. As Jonr says Lloyds stock a good range and the wired versions offer a wider range of 'pulses'. I also used rechargeable batteries and the pads for a lot longer than advised as I think the running costs could be quite high

• Trish9556
    Options

Hi @Jobyna

This is a photo of mine that's probably easier to identify. The model number is an EM43 I think. Purchased a few years ago but they're basically still the same. It has tens, massage and Ems options with lots of various intensities.

Wouldn't be without it especially today - back from a few days away and I forgot to put it in my bag 😔

The black bag in my original photo was purchased separately so I can carry it around easily when it's in use. Think it's an I phone cross body bag which also works as storage when not in use.

Love n hugs

Trish

• Trish9556
    Options

Hi ,@MaureenB

The replacement pads are expensive if you buy them from Boots. They're much cheaper online in that well known shop named after a river lol

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• Jobyna
    Options

Thanks for that - I will track one down in the next day or so. If I can get some relief in my back that will go a long to help. Watching the scam programmes on BBC lately I'm giving my 'river' account a bit of a rest for a while!

Jobyna x

• Barbara1
    Barbara1 Member Posts: 3
    Options

I have a tens machine. It doesn't stop the pain but the buzzing away is comforting. Mine is a kinetic and rechargeable.

• Jobyna
    Options

Trish 9556 and MaureenB

I think the whole community has been in search of TENS machines after this discussion. Boots only had 1 left (£44.99) last week and I dithered and when I went back they were out of stock and it's the same thing on line. Either out of stock or have shot up in price

Managed to get one in Lloyds Pharmacy yesterday and it was on special offer. Not sure if I imagined it but after a half hour session this morning I was much more comfortable walking afterwards! The only thing was I caught one corner of the adhesive patches to my clothes! Not easy to put the patches on your back by yourself. Still practice makes perfect and I shall keep on with it. One problem I did worry slightly about was the warning in the booklet on not using if you have heart irregularities. I have atrial fibrillation (not mentioned on other warnings) so have crossed my fingers and hope that by only using it on my lower back will be OK.

Jobyna x

• Trish9556
    Options

Hi @Jobyna

I'm glad you managed to find one, maybe a good idea just to check with your GP about its use to be in the safe side.

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• jonr
    Options

Hi @Jobyna,

Ah, must be bloomin' awkward getting the pads on your back and trying to prevent the weight of the machine from pulling them off. If that is becoming a faff then the solution is a wireless model. You'll still need the pads but there'll be no wires attached so in theory you can have the machine in your pocket or beside you. Lloyds do these too but possibly a online purchase.

Good luck!

jon

• JuJu_58
    JuJu_58 Member Posts: 2
    Options

I've been using a TENS machine for over ten years, it's invaluable for arthritis and fibromyalgia pain.

• Fixer
    Fixer Member Posts: 4
    Options

Good Morning

I’m very interested in a Tens Machine having spent most of last night massaging my feet and hip again! Which make and model can be recommended please. Thank you.

• Jobyna
    Options

Hi Fixer, Jonr and all TENS users

Second day of using the Lloyds machine which I purchased on Tuesday. Paid £13.50 (on special offer) plus an extra set of pads for £6.99. and I am so pleased with the easing of my lower back pain already. It has good simple programmes and levels, and shuts off after 30 minutes.

What I do find odd is that the booklet tells you to keep the pads 4 - 6 inches apart. Pretty difficult on certain parts such as hand or legs! I take my time in placing them carefully on my back, where it is needed most, sit in a chair and put the unit on a small table. Don't really see a need to use a belt this way, and if someone knocks the door I can always carry it!

Jobyna

• taverhamlady
    Options

I have a lot of nerve pain as well as being on the waiting list for 2 new hips. Would a tens machine help for that type of pain?