Knee replacement in your fifties

Hi all, I would like to chat about people that had a knee replacement in their 50's. I would like to chat to people that have had this operation in the last 1-2 years and people that had it in their 50's, but that was 15-20 yrs ago.

I have been advised by my Consultant that I will need 2 new knees, but not sure how long to delay this for.

Comments

• Good morning ive had both done both flushed out 8-9 times each bone on bone...

Had my right done in 2014 age 49 text book opp done at RNOH Stanmore in surgery 1 hr knee clases for 6 months 137 degrees bend...

Left knee 2017 same surgeon same hospital not as good as right knee 130 degrees flex no two joint replacements are the same...

Would i do it again OH YES pain gone rehab about 6 monts i was bk on my mountain bike in 6 weeks i would say get it done asap i was lucky i live in a bungerlow but look out for a cheap knee walker they are great about £40 sh of the selling sites hope this helps...

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

I didn't have replacements in my 50s but I did have my first ones aged 31. I looked after them well. I didn'-t ask anything very demanding of them as I have widespread RA and OA but I have always made sure they got plenty of exercise of the right kind. One was replaced after 27 years. I still have the other but it's totally shot now - the kneecap has slid off to the right and the TKR to the left. They're looking into whether or not it can be revised but it's very doubtful. I don't regret my initial ops one bit. I had twp small sons ar the time. If you get the chance then go for it but look after the new knees.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright