Knee arthroscopy?

Options
debster
debster Member Posts: 13
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hello, this is my first post. My knees have been painful for 2 years. A mri shows mild / moderate osteoarthritis and torn meniscus in both knees. My rheumatologist referred me for arthroscopy, however in the meantime I had physio at the gp, naproxen and Co codamol, this didn't help, so I got referred to msk advanced physio. She said they don't offer arthroscopy on people over 50 now as it doesn't always help . Im 60. She gave me steroid injections in both knees. This didn't help, so finally she referred me to a orthopaedic surgeon who said the same, arthroscopy isn't offered , when I started to cry as I thought this procedure would stop my pain, he said he isn't saying he won't do it. Try ibuprofen gel and for me to research arthroscopy as it might not work for me and I'm seeing him in June. Has anyone had knee arthroscopy and how did it go?

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,005
    Options

hello @debster and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that you will experience that as well.

I understand that you have osteoarthritis in your knees and looking to have a knee arthroscopy and seeing your consultant in June. Have a look through the following thread which might help.

and also the following might be of help.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their support and experiences as well.

With best wishes,

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 524
    Options

Hi @debster

I had one on my right knee years ago. Day surgery, was painful and on crutches for a while but stopped my knee issues. Also had one on each shoulder. Would recommend.

Trish

• debster
    Options

Thank you Trish, that's really helpful to hear from someone who has had it done, it sounds like I should dicuss getting it done then.

• vivalasam87
    Options

I had arthroscopya done on both of my knees about ten years ago. It was a game changer and it was a fluke I was offered it, I just so happened to have a break down at a go whose husband was an orthopaedic surgeon. I’ve just started having swellings again, it’s never stopped to pain fully but made a huge difference.

• debster
    Options

Thank you for your comment, I think the reason they don't rush to offer arthroscopy now is to save money, and I'm sure in some people it might not help, so it's good to hear it made a big difference for you. I think I must try it as nothing has helped so far and I can't go on with my knees hurting, not working properly and disturbed sleep. So glad it helped you.

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398
    Options

I was told by several health professionals including the consultant who is going to give me 2 new knees that it's a recent decision to withdraw Arthroscopies/Debrinement. There is a reluctance to operate on anybody with mild to medium Arthritus, the advice is to change lifestyle and manage one's condition via meds, diet, physio and exercise. I was then told that if the condition worsens to severe or chronic (as it has in my case) that Arthroscopy and indeed Steroid injections will have little effect so that's when surgery is on the table for a full or partial replacement. This isn't my personal opinion, just what I was told during my Arthritis journey when I asked about treatment options.

• debster
    Options

Hi thanks for your comment, yes that's what the 2 physiotherapists and orthopedic consultant said but my rheumatologist is insisting that it will work. They did give me steroid injections which as u say didn't work. The consultant hasn't ruled arthroscopy out, he said for me to research and get back to him, he said I'm not bad enough for knee replacement, which is not a decision to take lightly, my husband had a tkr 8 weeks ago, but I just don't fancy being pain, not being able to bend or sleep properly til I need knee replacements. It's very difficult to know what to do. Thank you for your imput

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398
    Options

Hi Debster,

If your condition doesn't require a partial or full replacement and your consultant is open to an arthroscopy, in your position I'd most likely bite their hand off. Of course, research is necessary but it could buy you more time as well as offering pain relief, etc.

• debster
    Options

Hi. Yes I think you are right, I'm back to the orthopedic consultant in June, I think it's got to be worth a try if he's willing to do it, I don't think I can wait years til I need a knee replacement. I think it certainty might help in the fact the mri also shows torn cartilage in both knees

Thanks