Methotrexate

Options
Ariana
Ariana Member Posts: 29
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hello, I am newly diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I was given prednisone and tapered from 15mg to my last 4 days of 5mg and at the same time I have started methotrexate started at 6 tabs at 2.5 mg to 8 tabs. I have been taking the higher dose methotrexate for almost 2weeks. The last couple of days in the morning I’ve had a little bit of spotting blood which seems to be coming from one nostril! Today it was more but not a full on nose bleed. Other than feeling a little queasy after taking methotrexate I’ve been feeling good and my arthritis is so much better. My question is anyone else had this bloody nose with methotrexate? Thanks.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

I don't think it's a common side effect but it can definitely cause bruising and bleeding and these shouldn't be ignored. I suggest, if it happems again, you should ring your rheumatology helpline for advice. It's early days for you and, if there's a problem, best to nip it in the bud.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Mark_E
    Mark_E Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hi Ariana

I started on similar dose Mtx a few months ago (10 tablets) and did experience similar blood spots on a few occasions over course of around a week at one point but can't say if it was down to the Mtx or not but it's possible. Mine didn't last long at all and I haven't had issues since so I never queried it with the rheumatology team but you've got nothing to loose by checking with yours.