Recommendations for crutches

Options

Hi. Saw physio at MSK this week and asked about using crutches for the days when knee arthritis feels unstable. Told it could be useful, but they don’t give out crutches and I’d have to source my own. Any advice or recommendations for brands? I’d be using them to get around school when I have a flare up.

Comments

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 711
    Options

Hi @Peebs

I was on crutches for about 9 months when my left knee was at it's worst. I used elbow crutches - they were light and easy to use. Initially I used one - you use it on the opposite side from the problem knee - but ended up with 2 when my knee got to the point I couldn't put any weight on it. I'm surprised the NHS don't provide them for you. When I was at my worst I was admitted to hospital a number of times via ambulance and the ambulance staff would never take my crutches with me so I was given new ones in hospital which then came home with me. There were times I had 4 at home before handing them back.

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 524
    Options

NHS still give out crutches - I was given two sets of elbow crutches when I was discharged post foraminotomy in March. I presume your MSK service are run by an outside provider?

Trish

• Peebs
    Peebs Member Posts: 19
    Options

MSK is run by NHS and with my GP practice. Visited a mobility shop today and when I asked for crutches they commented that they were no longer being given by NHS. Must be a local ICB decision. Postcode lottery!

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 524
    Options

Our MSK services are run by the Practice Plus Group which are only slightly better than our surgery which is run by the same group

• N1gel
    N1gel Member Posts: 161
    Options

Perhaps as important as crutches are the crutch tips or ferrules; otherwise the shock of repeated contact is transmitted directly to your wrists and elbows (especially if you're very active).

There's a brand imported from the US from a guy called Thomas Fetterman that are heavy duty and non slip in the rain (another thing to consider) You can get them from Amazon - not cheap, about £50 a pair.

It sounds like you won't be on them full time or I'd recommend the same guy who also makes bespoke titanium crutches, again, not cheap. Mine were £500-£600 but they lasted 20+ years (I got them paid for by 'access to work' and a sympathetic boss) - I was forever bending the cheap aluminium ones.

• Peebs
    Peebs Member Posts: 19
    Options

Thanks @N1gel I’ve ordered a flexifoot to try round the house. Think they’re made by ossenberg with shock absorbing ferrules. 🤞