Care allowance.

Options

Hello.

My husband has prostate cancer, is diabetic and other problems. A Macmillan nurse has recently helped us fill in the forms for independant living allowance. She thinks we should be able to claim this. We hadn't realised we would qualify. I also have arthritis. I have had one hip replaced and the other is classed as "moderate". I have it in my wrists and possibly knees. There are things that my husband helps me with and some I help him. If he is granted the allowance am I allowed to claim too? And if so where would I go for help with the forms please? Thank you

Comments

• CarylW
    CarylW Moderator Posts: 272
    Options

Hello @lindamay

Without knowing more about you and your husband it is difficult to give you advice with benefits but I suggest you read this from our website:

It would be worth talking to Citizens Advice who can help you with benefits you are entitled to, and there is a link to their website on this page. They will also help you complete the forms. MacMillan may have a similar service.

Thank you for contacting us on this: do let us know how you get on. Applying for benefits can be quite daunting, so do ask again if you need to.

Best wishes

Caryl

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @lindamay

Thank you for posting on the online community. I am sorry to hear about your husband’s prostate cancer and the other problems he is going through. You mention your arthritis and your eligibility to as to what you can claim. 

I have read @CarylW post and hope that is helpful to you as well as our link to financial support. Speaking to the Citizens advice bureau is a good idea, you could also call Turn2us who can discuss your entitlements with you.

I hope this is of some help.

Best wishes

Lynda

Helpline Advisor