Hip Replacement has changed my life!!

Edgey_75
Edgey_75 Member Posts: 47
edited 1. Jun 2023, 14:21 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone,

I’m 47 and on 22nd February I had my full right hip replacement.

I can honestly say it’s the best thing I’ve ever done and I really feel I have a new lease of life!!

I had been suffering with arthritis for about 4 years, I was in a lot of pain daily and at night whilst try to sleep. I couldn’t walk without having a severe limp and I literally had stopped doing everything I use to enjoy, things as simple as walking my dog or nipping to the shops.

I hadn’t realised how much confidence I’d actually lost over the years of living with arthritis. I never liked to look at myself in the mirror as my right leg was constantly bent and I felt like a freak!

I wouldn’t wear certain clothes as I felt as though they emphasised my bent leg and my limp. I just couldn’t look forward to anything!

NHS were no where near to adding me to the list for a hip replacement and instead wanted to send me for another X-ray to “double check” things.

luckily I had support off a relative who gave me the money to go private. I did have doubts as to whether I was doing the right thing, I’d ask myself questions like “Am I really that bad?”, “Is it worth having a hip replacement because there could be implications afterwards?” Etc etc.

But after having the operation and regaining the use of my hip and actually being able to walk without limping, I feel on top of the world!!

Each time I step outside to take my dog for a walk, I know how lucky I am to have had this procedure!

It has 100% changed my life and I feel myself again! I’m independent, confident and just genuinely happy!

So please, if you’re in the same position I was in and just need a bit of reassurance that you’re doing the right thing, then here it is!!

Good luck to everyone out there who is about to have a hip replacement or are in recovery from having had one! It’s the best thing you’ll ever do!

Terri x

Comments