So fed up of pain, it's all I know these days

Options
Lorraine_24
Lorraine_24 Member Posts: 32
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi ,just wanted to say hello and wondering if anyone has any advice about being in chronic pain 24hrs a day, currently waiting to have both my hips replaced, morphine patches don't work for me anymore, the pain is relentless, unable to do anything now at this stage, feeling down and fed up and isolated

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 763
    Options

Hello @Lorraine_24 welcome to the online community

You are struggling with chronic pain and awaiting hip replacement operations . You are feeling down and fed up with the relentlessness of your condition. Those of us who have experience of the constant pain of the different types of arthritis are right beside you with your feelings of not being able to escape from and inability to control the pain. Many of us have gained great relief from the pain after replacement operations, so hope that your operation date comes through soon.

We are a friendly group who are here to support anyone who is affected by living with arthritis so we are glad you found us. We hope that by joining in with the discussions and activities on the community you will feel less isolated. One of the links I attach encourages meditation, whilst the others are related to pain management and exercise.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/news/2022/february/meditation-and-mindfulness-and-how-it-might-help-you/

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/managing-your-pain/

It does seem counter intuitive to be encouraging exercise but if you can start gently with just a few stretches you may find that you can gradually build up a daily routine that is beneficial for both your physical and mental well being. I know from personal experience that this helped me enormously pre and post my hip replacement operation.

There are lots of information pages and lots of posts from members who provide great support for each other, so do browse round the site when you get the chance, maybe start with the "Living with Arthritis" section. We look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Take care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

I'm sorry. It's horrible when the pain is relentless. I've had both hips replaced and it was pretty rough in the final month or two.

But @Poppyjane is right. Exercises are the best way to deal with it and to set ourselves up for a good outcome when the op arrives. Slack, unsupportive muscles aee the last things we want both before and after. Start gently, slowly , just a few repetitions but several times a day. Eat healthily, don't smoke. It all helps.

Being positive can be really hard but the harder it is the more we need it. And the more we achieve the better we feel.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Lorraine_24
    Lorraine_24 Member Posts: 32
    Options

Thank you @stickywicket for taking the time to reply to me and just being there to give advice, I'm at an all time low right now I can't see beyond the pain right now, I haven't slept more than 4 hours a night for almost 4 years, no appetite, lost far to much weight and just don't know how much more I can take, but it has been worthwhile coming on here and reading about other people and how there is light at end of tunnel and it will get better. It's worst thing I've ever been through and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy..thanks again really appreciate your support