Knee replacement

Options
nannyhicks49
nannyhicks49 Member Posts: 27
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

I will soon be having a knee replacement and I’m really scared, I’m hoping to have a spinal and we walk to the theatre, can anyone tell me what happens when you get to the theatre area

Comments

• CarylW
    CarylW Member Posts: 274
    Options

Hello @nannyhicks49

It's absolutely understandable that you are anxious as any kind of surgery is an unknown experience. I had a knee replacement in June last year, and walked to the theatre. I have no idea if your experience will be the same as mine but I hope the anaesthetist is as friendly as mine was! I had to sit on the side of the bed while he explained to a trainee what he was going to do (very interesting) and I didn't feel anything. I was then helped on to the bed and wheeled in to the theatre.

I think I was sedated but didn't really go to sleep. I had a hip replacement some years ago and also had a spinal but was put to sleep. The atmosphere in the the theatre was relaxed and quite jovial. They put a blue curtain in front of me so I couldn't see what was going on but I could hear them chatting and the process of the surgery. I felt nothing at all and the anaesthetist kept checking on me. After it finished I was taken to the recovery area and then back to the ward. It took a while for the spinal to wear off, and as my op was late afternoon they didn't get me out of bed until the next day.

Good luck! I have no regrets at all and I'm waiting for the other knee to be done now!

Best wishes

Caryl

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• CarylW
    CarylW Member Posts: 274
    Options

Do you mean the operation? I'm not sure but maybe an hour and a half.

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm