Rheumatoid arthritis

Options
Pheather1
Pheather1 Member Posts: 10
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi anyone

im trying to get my head around what has happened to me,Iv just started my main treatment of methotrexate and hydroxyclorquine, and have been taking steroids from the first visit to the doctor,that help for a short period,can anyone tell me what i should expect as I’m totally dissolutioned at the moment,as to what degree of normal life I can hope for,as at present if my wife wasn’t able to do everything for me,I’m not sure how you’re meant to cope,I am not able literally to do anything for myself,and I have work commitments,etc,can anyone who has been in this situation and got through it ,how long were you like it before things improved,to what degree could I hope for improvement,any information would be a great help right now,

phill

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 758
    Options

Hello @Pheather1 welcome to the online community

You have recently been diagnosed with RA and have been prescribed Methotrexate and Hydroxyclorquine. You are concerned about your present condition and are asking what to expect in the future. We are glad you got in touch because like many of us when we first started this journey living with arthritis we too shared your concerns .Members of the community offer their friendship and support and are great in sharing their life experiences and tips of how to cope with the changes that have occurred.

I attach some links which I hope you will find useful, two on medication which you will see does take a while to start showing benefits, one on access to work which advises about your relationship with your employer etc.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/drugs/hydroxychloroquine/

This is a lot of information to absorb so when you get the chance, get back to us if you have more questions and I am sure our members will try to help with their tips and advice.

Best wishes

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• Pheather1
    Options

Hi poppy Jane

thanks so much for your reply,il read all the information you have passed on,great to get such an early reply,

best regards phill

• Pheather1
    Options

Hi are there any self employed people on here that have this condition,and so they have any advice please

regards phill

• Sumagoo
    Sumagoo Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi there,

I'm afraid I don't really have any advice for you, but have recently been diagnosed with RA and am self employed.

It can be a real struggle. Just wanted you to know you aren't alone.

What do you do?