Post opp.

Options
raphacondor
raphacondor Member Posts: 21
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

16 weeks after full knee replacement, still doing physio. Knee area still numb , swelling occurs.Still off work , feels just the same prior to the operation. Am I being impatient?

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    Options

Swelling definitely and area still being numb probably too these things seem to happen forever post op.🙄

Not so sure about it still feeling the same as pre your op though🤔

Are you seeing 'anyone' physio or a consultant's follow up due?

Toni x

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 530
    Options

Hi @raphacondor

A silly question but could you have tried doing too many reps too soon or pushing your physio to the limits too quickly?

We all get excited when we have surgery to repair, or replace, failing joints and want to get back to normal as quickly as possible. I would suggest a call to your physio and maybe reduce the level of your exercising for a few days and see if that helps. As they say, less is more beneficial. Could it also be that you've ditched your crutches/sticks too soon?

Hope you feel better soon

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• raphacondor
    Options

Thanks for your message .I've the 16week consultant appointment Friday 12th May.l feel I am recovering with less movement than prior to my operation. Every day physio, walking and now static cycle..just annoyed with the outcome so far. Rep's per exercise as requested , not overtrained.just disappointed so far

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

I think your consultant appt. will be of more use to you than I will but I was thinking along similar lines to @Trish9556 . I f you're exercising as prescribed then maybe too much walking and cycling? There's a lot of hacking and chopping goes on with orthopaedic surgery and so an awful lot of internal mending to take place long after the outer scar looks good. Do let us know how you get on.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • raphacondor
    Options

Thanks for your support, during my operation I woke up to physical hammering in my knee area. Even with the apedural, I could feel the hits through my tib and fib.Sounds barbaric because one sense it is.I really feel sometimes it's best struggling to 8o% rather than fighting to reach 80% months post op.