Walking poles - any advice?

Options
KC1
KC1 Member Posts: 37

I'm a keen walker (about to head off for a couple of weeks) and I'm thinking of getting some walking poles to help with balance and posture following my OA diagnosis (left hi mainly).

Any you would recommend?

Any to steer clear of?

Any hints and tips?

Thanks to anyone who responds

Comments

• Jobyna
    Jobyna Member Posts: 16
    Options

KC1 I don't go anywhere without my Nordic poles - I love them. Awaiting a left hip replacement and they really help me with balance and keeping me upright. I did go on a course a few years ago, and got my certificate, but there is an excellent complete guide book by Gill Stewart which takes you through it. I can't get on with ordinary walking poles or even a single stick. I walk an exuberant Border Terrier whose flexi lead is attached to a belt round my waist leaving me hands free but I have looped a handle in the flexi in case I need to grab her back (she hates other dogs!). They can be a bit pricey but I have found even the cheaper ones on line are sufficient.

Jobyna

• KC1
    Options

Thanks so much. Your Border Terrier sounds a handful and such fun. Really appreciate your advice.

• JenHB
    JenHB Member Posts: 133
    Options

do you have any outdoor shops nearby as I think that there are a variety of different hand grips and whether they are telescopic etc

I've got a pair from years ago and now use one if I'm walking somewhere which may be steep/muddy etc.

• KC1
    Options

Hi Jen

yes, there’s a millets in my local town. Just wondering if cheap and cheerful could be false economy. Which poles do you have?

karen

• JenHB
    JenHB Member Posts: 133
    Options

I've got Lekis (which I think were Christmas presents) but I've had them for I guess about 20 years!

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

I have Leki’s too. I’ve given them a real punishing over the years, and they’ve been pretty good. I have my reservations about the collapsible ones, they don't seem very robust. Mine are telescopic. I found the ones with a buckle on the wrist strap very uncomfortable, as the buckle rubbed on my hand - most are designed for larger men’s hands (typical!), so I avoid that variety. I ended up giving mine away to my brother (who has big hands)

• KC1
    Options

Thanks for the advice. I’ll see what I can source locally and hopefully will be enjoying longer and more adventurous walks again when I go to Ireland soon. Thanks again

• Jobyna
    Jobyna Member Posts: 16
    Options

Leki's probably are the best but you could try some of the cheaper ones first. Unfortunately they don't seem to be around quite so much now as they used to be. Mine are Walker 5000 carbon and have done me well being used every day. I also have a pair of folding ones which aren't so good but in the car in case I forget to take them. The only problem I have found is the gauntlets wear out and its difficult to find replacements. I got some from Decathlon and made adjustments and they also sell the poles. Do try and get the book and there are some very good YouTube videos (and some rubbish ones!)

Best of luck with them.

• KC1
    Options

Thank you Jobyna really appreciate your advice

• Meeee
    Meeee Member Posts: 19
    Options

I have some Leki poles and various other makes. To be honest the cheap ones are just as good if not better than the expensive ones. The only thing I would say is make sure you get a set with comfortable grips, I would steer clear of foam and go for a cork handle. with the Leki ones I have they are twist lock which can be a pain if grip is limited. I would go for buckle lock or quick release ones as they are easier to control.

Tis Meeee
  • KC1
    Options

Thank yo Meeee for your advice, really useful

• lindamay
    lindamay Member Posts: 118
    Options

I have been thinking about walking poles myself but never having had or used them I am unsure which type to go for. Prices seem to vary a lot.

• PoohBear
    PoohBear Member Posts: 2
    Options

I used poles but they kept collapsing on me and would not stay in the same position so I gave up on them and used an umbrella instead

• Louisa77
    Louisa77 Administrator Posts: 250
    Options

Welcome to the community @PoohBear, great to see you posting.

Why don't you post in the say hello section and let us know a little about yourself 😊

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398
    edited 21. Aug 2023, 08:24
    Options

I've recently picked up a pair of walking poles from Mountain Warehouse. It looks like the difference between them is down to material (aluminium or pvc), the former being more expensive.

Apart from the fact they don't sink in grass and are adjustable, being a bit image-conscious I like to think I look like a pro hiker which I wouldn't if using walking sticks!

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398
    Options