Osteoarthritis now affecting everyday life

Options
Nocturne
Nocturne Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi, I’ve just joined the community and look forward to giving and receiving support. I was first diagnosed 5 years ago and found useful information on the site, but it was fairly mild and I managed ok. Recently it's become worse for various reasons alongside other health issues and I’m figuring out how to absorb this both practically and emotionally as I take a hard look at how I do things and make some changes.

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 684
    Options

Hi @Nocturne,

Welcome to the versus arthritis forum.

You were diagnosed with OA some time ago but more recently the symptoms have become worse. You are currently taking stock of where you are and considering how to move forward from here.

Joining the forum will, I hope, provide you with information and support as you assess what changes you may need to make.

These links may be of relevance/interest:

I hope you find joining the forum a positive and beneficial experience.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• cankman
    cankman Member Posts: 10
    Options

Hi Nocturne i was diagnosed 14 years ago with degenerative disc disease in my lower back i was just 34 at the time and very active with life and competition martial arts, about a year later i was unable to do the sport i loved due to the pain this was the start of a downward spiral which lasted about five years until i learned to both accept my new normal and learn my new limits and capabilities it was hard and very frustrating but i came through it. I now have OA in my knee as well and i am waiting for HTO surgery so i have had to re asses my capabilities all again. So i can fully understand what you are going through and can only suggest that you take it one day at a time and try to accept your limits and try to understand the pain triggers so you can adjust to prevent them as best you can.

• Nocturne
    Nocturne Member Posts: 4
    Options

Thanks so much for your kind and supportive message. I'm sorry I found the site a bit hard to navigate and have only just found your post. I've made some adjustments (mentally and physically) and am doing ok at present. Best wishes for your surgery and subsequent recovery period.