My first dose of Methotrexate

Options
Woofy
Woofy Member Posts: 274
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Just taken my first dose of Methotrexate. I am a little anxious, but hopefully will be ok on them. I don’t work on Fridays, so thought it might be a good day to take them. So I have a few days to rest.

Comments

• Ariana
    Ariana Member Posts: 29
    Options

Hi @Woofy I hope your first does of methotrexate went well. I have been on methotrexate for almost two months. I take mine on a Monday before my evening meal. Let me know how your methotrexate journey goes. Best of luck.

• Woofy
    Options

Hi Ariana. Thank you. I now had my second dose, Thursdays is my chosen day. All seems well.

were you prescribed Folic acid to take on the days you don’t take Methotrexate?

• Ariana
    Options

Hi @Woofy Glad to hear your second dose of methotrexate went well, long may it continue. I was prescribed one 5mg folic acid to take once a week but it has recently been increased to 3 tablets 3 times a week. I’ve had a mouth ulcer which is one of the side effects of methotrexate, hence the increase. I take my FA on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Hope this helps.😊

• Woofy
    Options

I have to take F A on all days, except Methotrexate day. Why do you only take Folic Acid on a few days? Do they make you poorly?

• Ariana
    Options

Hi @Woofy , in reply to your question below. I was originally prescribed just one folic acid tablet once a week but because I developed an ulcer the rheumatology nurse increased it to 3 tablets 3 times a week . She said it would help to mitigate the side effects of methotrexate. I hope this helps.😊

I have takenF A on all days, except Methotrexate day. Why do you only take Folic Acid on a few days? Do they make you poorly?

• Domamumma2
    Options

Hi I'm so glad your first doses have gone well I'm due to start taking methotrexate in few weeks after my holiday,its scared me as the Dr's said to wait until after it as all iv seen are horror stories,it so nice to know that some people are doing OK at first on it 😊 hope your still going on OK 👍

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,015
    Options

Hello @Domamumma2 and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you are about to start taking methotrexate, the following article from our website might be of use.

and

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

With very best wishes,

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Woofy
    Options

Hi. I was a bit scared too, but the pain I have been in for the last 18months has been unbearable at times. I have tried a couple of other meds, but they haven’t worked for me. Now I am hoping Methotrexate will be the one. I am on a low dose of steroids until it kicks in, which can take three months sometimes longer. I know someone who has been on Methotrexate since she was 32. She is now in her 70’s. She is very fit and able bodied. This made me more relaxed. Like you I had heard some not so positive reviews.

I take mine with a good sized evening meal, then some live natural yogurt with blueberries afterwards for pudding😊it’s worked for me lol. I think most people take Methotrexate in the evening, so you are hopefully sleeping through any possible side effects.

good luck.

• Janeamagarry
    Options

Hi I'm on methotrexate well I've only taken it once. Its made me feel really sick and its put me off taking it . Anyone any advice please ? X

• CarylW
    CarylW Member Posts: 274
    Options

Hello @Janeamagarry

I am glad you have found our forum and I hope that you find it helpful and supportive.

You are asking for advice on side effects of Methotrexate which you have taken once and have been put off because it made you feel really sick. I am sue there are members on here who will be able to help with their experiences but I am posting below some information from our website on Methotrexate:

You will see that one of the side effects is feeling sick, but you need to continue taking it for a while for the drug to be effective. Maybe you can talk to your rheumatologist about how you feel?

Do keep posting and let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Caryl

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Domamumma2
    Options

Hi I'm so glad your first doses have gone well I'm due to start taking methotrexate in few weeks after my holiday,its scared me as the Dr's said to wait until after it as all iv seen are horror stories,it so nice to know that some people are doing OK at first on it 😊 hope your still going on OK 👍

• Domamumma2
    Options

Hi again took my first dose on Sunday after reading comments on how people take their doses I decided to have 3 tablets at 10 in morning then 3 at 5 to space them out a bit,so far just a bit of a foggy head and tiny bit of nausea I was prescribed folic acid once a day apart from the tablet day,its now Tuesday and hopefully this will be as bad as side effects get hope your all doing well 😊😊😊