PIP, even when on meds?

Options

Hi all, someone suggested to me that I should apply for PIP. However, I have doubts / a question because PIP is based on how your day to day living / ability is affected.

I was regrettably taken off Methotrexate some time ago, and about to start on Sulfasalazine. Now if Sulfasalazine is as effective as Methotrexate was, I will be feeling like a new man in no time. It was fantastic for me.

So with that in mind, my questions is, even though I have Psoriatic Arthritis in most joints, it is (or will be) managed by my medication which in turn will allow me to have a better quality of life and better mobility. Would that still qualify for PIP? I've tried to look online but not found anything pertanent to this specific scenario.

Many thanks.

Comments

• CarylW
    CarylW Member Posts: 274
    Options

Hello @manamaga

You are right that there are two elements to PIP - mobility and daily living. Your question about how medication will affect your application is a good one, and hopefully someone who receives or has applied for PIP may be able to advice you better than I can.

In the meantime you may find this information from our website helpful reading:

Best wishes

Caryl

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Millymoo
    Millymoo Member Posts: 5
    Options

It is worth trying. I get the basic for mobility, and although this isn’t much it gives you evidence for other things such as carer tickets, blue badge etc. The woman who did my assessment was very helpful. She said you have to think how you are on your worst day. I can only take my pain medication at night due to side affects so not sure if this made a difference to the assessment but the whole thing wasn’t too stressful but perhaps that was because I wasn’t expecting anything. Hope this helps…

• Faballball
    Faballball Member Posts: 9
    Options

I am osteoarthritis sufferer on PIP i understand your query however, the medication is a treatment not a cure.

so on answering questions "how are you affected by .....disease " i would reply as you are without the medication, do you need to wash clothes more, do you have to take medication, does it impact your mobility, your life, what you can do etc etc. i believe it would. My osteoarthritis affects everything in my life. As age increases things change. In fact i have recommended a web site that i used in the beginning which helps with huides on completing these forms.

the practise at present is long winded and often has to hobto tribunal before one is presented with an award. But oh does it help!

so please do not just dismiss this benefit which is supposed to help you live as normal as life as possible.

• Faballball
    Faballball Member Posts: 9
    Options

• CAZ58
    CAZ58 Member Posts: 2
    Options

I am new to this site can you please tell me what website you use for info Faballball

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,005
    Options

Hello @CAZ58 and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

Not sure what site @Faballball is using but you might find the following of use:

We also have a Helpline, Mon to Fri, 9am to 6pm, who also might be able to offer you some guidance, try calling them on 0800 5200 520

Best wishes,

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• LadyP
    LadyP Member Posts: 6
    Options

Hi there. The best advice re PIP is to complete the form and imagine it is your worst day ever!! I've had a few of those! I am having my assessment next Tues and I completed the form in March... like everything else it takes forever! This is my third attempt at PIP. Unfortunately I have deteriorated considerably and am housebound with extremely limited mobility. It won't be difficult to explain my worst day! I'm on methotrexate but have also had benepali which didn't help and now I'm on yuflyma both of which are biologics. I live alone and at the moment cannot drive, do my shopping or change my bedding!! I need the PIP to get the help I need. Good luck.