Living with osteoarthritis

Options
Billybobs
Billybobs Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi Everyone,

Ive been living with chronic pain for well over over 6 yrs now. First my knees then my hips my back my hands and shoulder. I get really bad days where I wonder what’s the point in living being in this much pain not being able to do what I need to do let alone what I want to do. My lower back is the worst pain it is constantly there, gets increasingly worse when I walk to the point where I just want to scream but if I sit just for a short moment it relieves it enough for me to go a bit further.my hips sometimes feel like they are loose, that the bones aren’t in right place and can be agony to walk at times! I had pubis dysfunction with 3 pregnancies and it feels very much like that. My knees can be fine at times but then I get a flare up and they are really painful.I gave up my caring job because I simply couldn’t do it anymore due to the pain so I got a job sitting at a checkout, but even that has its problems, after sitting I cease up and can barely stand let alone walk and need to give myself a few mins to be able to move and when I can I use a trolley to lean on!

My hands are becoming disfigured with painful bumps appearing and I get awful pins and needles in both hands but worse in the left thumb and 2 closest fingers, I get shooting pains and throbbing and have lost strength. My right shoulder aches also. I have to think about where I’m going and if I can find places to sit at regular intervals, I used to love going for walks with my dogs but I just can’t do it now. Does this sound familiar to you ?

I knew I had osteoarthritis in my hands and knees but never had thought that my back and hips could be down to that also until a consultant said. I’m waiting for the pain clinic to sort out some pain relief but trying to get help is hard and I feel like I go round in circles but getting nowhere

Comments

• CarylW
    CarylW Member Posts: 274
    Options

Hello @Billybobs

Welcome to our online community. You will find we are very supportive, and we all learn from each other - I hope you find that too,

I understand that you have osteoarthritis diagnosed in your hands and knees, and probably in your back and hips too. You are waiting for an appointment with the pain clinic.

Your description of seizing up certainly resonates with me, and I find I get to the stage when I don't want to move at all! However gentle movement is the best way to keep yourself going and you may find these videos on our website helpful as a starter:

Do keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.

Best wishes

Caryl

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options

Oh Gosh@Billybobs

You are so not alone. I am sat here having taken painkiilers with my microwavable wheat bag on my back hoping things will 'go off' soon.

The worst of it is that is seems like every health service is 'gatekeeping' or 'overwhelmed by demand' leaving us needing to constantly chase for what we desperately need.

Unfortunately I think that's what we must do these days - be our own advocates.

I hope you'll decide to stay on the forum. It's a good place to be.

Take care

Toni x