Recovery following total knee replacement

Options
NicolaAB
NicolaAB Member Posts: 6
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

I seem to have got recovery time way way out - now 13 weeks and any advice and comments would be appreciated . Allowing that everyone is different! 6:12 months?

Comments

• Lindaa
    Lindaa Member Posts: 24
    Options

My physio says as long as it takes cos we are all different. Nurses post op reckoned this 6 weeks and 3 months stuff was misleading and only a vague guide to when steps forward might be more noticable. Surgeon suggested full knee strength as good as its going to get can take 12 to 18 months and depends on the state of rest of your joints. 6 weeks post op I know I am improving but theres a long way to go.

• NicolaAB
    Options

10 months on from total knee replacement and still feels like a tight band across the middle of the knee - although this doesn’t prevent walking for an hour a day going downhill is still challenging, and going downstairs a work in progress - can anyone advise if this is 'normal' aa I feel if could get rid of this feeling, and then reduction of 'numb’ area on lower outside of knee, I would be back to nearly 100%? Any advise would be much appreciated.

• Moira
    Moira Member Posts: 88
    Options

Do the exercises that the physio suggests, do them correctly and for the correct number of times. Too much and you can set yourself back; too little and you won't get mobile. It is very important that you use your new joint.

Sometimes there will be numb areas as nerves have been damaged. They told us at the clinic pre-op. There is nothing really you can do about that.

Everyone is different but exercise is the key to mobility - the correct exercise. Just don't do breast stoke legs when swimming (I jiggered my new knee joint that way!) and most of us can't kneel.

I don't think you'll ever get back to 100%. There's no way I can do a ballet or contemporary dance class anymore - but hey that's life and there are other joys. Tai Chi is brilliant.

• Lindaa
    Lindaa Member Posts: 24
    Options

I am 9 months on from knee replacement and also have the tight band, numbness and anything more than a gentle downhill gradient is uncomfortable as are stairs. Physio told me to massage and moisturise numbness and scar frequently, walk regularly, and be patient. That patience is the hardest bit!

• NicolaAB
    Options

Thank you - interesting and helpful comments. Feel the consultant could have provided more information on recovery!

think I have been over optimistic, 🤞for best recovery possible at 2 years, interesting comment re kneeling, tried it once for review but extremely difficult!

i also find steep hills and going downstairs challenging but hoping this will ease with time.

used bio oil for 6 months and then a serum but think that is as good as scar will get.

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options

Hi @NicolaAB and @Lindaa

I've had three new knees plus the two I was born with so that makes me five altogether! 😂

Give yourself time because you've had a lot of soft tissue damage during surgery which needs to get better too. Any numbness is caused when they sever the nerves and these can repair but it's extremely slowly (years) if at all. After a while you'll forget about the numbness because it's just your knee.

You have to consider how you were before surgery because your damaged knee will not have allowed you to walk 'properly' for a very long time so now certain muscles have had a wake-up call! The exercises you've been given, by your physio, will start to strengthen the muscles and normal walking will get easier over time.

If you are unduly worried you can always contact your surgeon's team or your physio.

Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'