RA and menopause

Options

I have had a blood test which doesn’t indicate a flare up. I’m in pain as if experiencing a flare up. I’m thinking this may be the menopause and have a gp appointment booked to discuss treatment. Im experiencing all of the symptoms of menopause can this effect RA

Comments

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @Fiona2107

Thanks for your post to the Helpline. I'm glad you are going to see your GP about this. If you are experiencing some kind of musculoskeletal (MSK) pain, then it may be helpful to request a musculoskeletal (MSK) examination. (GPs can perform these, but many people with arthritis find it particularly helpful to see a physiotherapist as often a major part of treatment will be your daily physiotherapy exercises and stretches). After some kind of flare up or episode of pain, it may prompt a review your daily exercises to ensure they are meeting your needs. The other part of self-management which is known to be helpful is having a balanced diet, rich in fruit and vegetables to keep weight under good control.

There is not a lot in arthritis literature yet covering menopause, but it's something which we hope will be improving moving forwards.

Exercising with arthritis | Top tips, specific exercises (versusarthritis.org)

Eating well with arthritis | healthy eating for people with arthritis (versusarthritis.org)

All the best

Guy - Helpline Team