Biologics

Options
Lexi
Lexi Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi, just joined. I have osteo and inflammatory arthritis and need a full knee replacement. Methotrexate and Hydrochloroquine don't seem to bee working so the Rheumatology nurse use referring me to a biolgoc nurse. I am in constant pain, but hope the month I have to wait for the appt will be worth it. So disheartening to hardly be able to do anything. I miss long rambles that I was doing just over a year ago

Comments

• Mark_E
    Mark_E Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hi Lexi, I developed inflammatory arthritis 6 months ago and have been increasingly immobile throughout this time. Methotrexate seemed to do nothing for me and same with sulfasalazine which was added later so I was put on a biologic a month ago. Over the last week or two I am now starting to see small improvements for first time since it started with shoes being less tight and I've been able to reduce painkillers I take over the past week. I'm still using crutches to get about, have limited movement in fingers, am not pain free and have a long way to go but it's given me more hope than I've had in a long time that I can start getting back out for a walk and more in the not too distant future so hopefully your experience will be similar when you start.

There are multiple different biologics so even if first one doesn't work it doesn't mean others won't as frustrating as that can be.

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,012
    Options

Hi @Lexi and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

Our website has a lot of useful information and might be worth a look. The following are examples from it.

and

I hope there is something in them which might be of use. Please keep posting and let us know how your journey progresses.

With very best wishes,

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 711
    Options

Hi @Lexi and @Mark_E

I know we are all different and that has a bearing on how we react to treatment but thought I'd just share how my biologic treatment made a difference to me. I was on max dose sulfasalazine and 20mg methotrexate which didn't help my psoriatic arthritis. I was still only able to walk using crutches, couldn't close my hands or move my shoulders enough to even butter toast. I was put onto the biosimilar of adalimumab Amgevita and 3 weeks after my first injection could feel a slight difference. By two months in I was able to hand my crutches back to physiotherapy. I'm not cured by any means but I'm in a far better place than I was. I'm able to walk my dog 50-60kms a week - albeit with a limp. I still get what I now know are flares and although they can be debilitating they are nothing like what I experienced before.

As Mark_E has said they don't always work first time for everyone - I recently met someone with PsA who was onto their 4th biologic and my rheumatology nurse had said to me it was good the first one worked for me as they had 7 they could use.

Hope you get the right treatment soon.