Recently diagnosed with RA

Options
Simsut27
Simsut27 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi recently diagnosed with RA started on Methotrexate but had to stop due to allergic reaction now on Leflunomide and my hair is falling out in patches on one side of my scalp. Any advise if I should now try a biological & do they also cause hairless. Help please 🙂

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 797
    edited 21. May 2023, 08:07
    Options

Hi @Simsut27

Welcome to the online community so glad you have found us.

You write you have just been diagnosed with Rhumatoid Arthritis recently and had a reaction to Methatrexate so changed to Leflunamide but your hair is now falling out and have been advised to chamnge to a biological form of medication and do they have the same affect.

here is a link that may help

Please tell us how you get on and do chat to others on the forums.

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Ariana
    Ariana Member Posts: 29
    Options

Hi @Simsut27 , I’m sorry to hear you’ve had a problem with methotrexate and are now on leflunamide. I recently had a side effect from methotrexate, mouth ulcers and my folic acid was increased from one tablet to 3, 3 times a week. One of our community replied to my post and said that her hair had been falling out whilst on methotrexate and her folic acid was increased to one tablet 6 times a week. I’m just wondering if increasing your folic acid would do the same. You might want to contact the rheumatology nurse for advice. Hope things improve for you.