Hip Injection Site

Options

Morning all :-)

So I had the injection for my hip pain yesterday and I'm bewildered as to why it went in at the top of my leg, probably about 3 finger widths down?

I was under the impression that it would go into my hip as my previous ones for my shoulders, thumb and neck went in those places.

I hadn't taken any Tramadol or Paracetamol yesterday morning before I went as I was in severe pain - I thought it would be a better 'test' of the injection and was probably in more pain afterwards so I didn't ask the Senio Physio why it went in there afterwards, I just wanted to get home.

Definitely not in as much pain this morning but it's still nagging at me so I shall wait and see what happens. I've probably had about 20 of these previously in my neck, thumb and shoulders over the years and none of them have worked so I'm smiling nicely and waiting patiently to see if this one does anything.

Does anyone have any ideas why it went into the front of my leg?

Love and hugs to all

Trish xx

Comments

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 522
    Options

Hi all

Another night of no sleep and after a couple of days that gave been quite good post hip injection, I'm beginning to think it hasn't worked,

Fed up

Hope everyone has a better day than melooks like.

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,005
    Options

@Trish9556 I do hope it improves for you and you get some sleep. You've probably already seen it but have a look at:

Best wishes,

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Trish9556
    Options

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the link. I was in so much pain last night it woke me up after an hour and there was no way I was going to get back to sleep even after Tramadol, paracetamol, classic FM in my Walkman and my tens machine. Going to be one of those days

love n hugs

Trish xx

• TLee
    TLee Member Posts: 88
    Options

I do know that there are different techniques for the hip injections. My doctor described it either going in at the front/side (but at the hip, I think) and sometimes from the back, kind of over the buttock area. I had to go to the hospital where they used xray equipment to make sure it was going to the right place. During a later doctor visit I was told that the doc who does injections was in the office & could do one for me right then and there. I declined, as even with xrays there had been some difficulty getting the needle placed in the bone-on-bone joint. They keep pushing for me to try the injection again, but as it didn't work (I maybe had slightly less pain for 2 or 3 days) I can't see the point. To me it's just another example of not really knowing how to treat severe arthritis.

• Trish9556
    Options

Hi @TLee

I never realised there were so many options for hip injections and just assumed it would be in the hip and not below it on the front of my leg!

It doesn't appear to have been very successful though as I'm back taking daily tramadol . I did have a few days of being relatively pain free. See what happens over the next few weeks.

Love n hugs

Trish xx