Out of hiding -childhood Perthes/adult osteoarthritis

Options
Smm
Smm Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi there,

After 'hiding' my diagnosis of childhood Perthes and more recently, osteoarthritis of both hips for most of my life, I would now like to reach out and connect with others who have had similar experiences. Unfortunately my family were very 'ableist' so felt ashamed of my condition. Very impressed with the VA resources and online community

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,014
    Options

Hello @Smm and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well. Glad you like the Community and VA resources.

You are now among friends that you haven't met yet but, importantly, can understand what you are going through. So please do not feel ashamed any longer. All of us on here either have some form of arthritis or care for someone who does.

This is the first time I've come across Perthes (had to google it), but we do know a lot about osteoarthritis in the hip. I've put a couple of links in below which might be of interest.

and

Now you are here I hope that you keep posting and join in with other conversations, and I am sure that others will connect with you.

With very best wishes,

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Smm
    Options

Thank you Pete it is great to be here. Don't worry I think a lot of people would have to Google Perthes! It's funny going from something rare as a child to something very common as an adult. I hear hip replacement surgery makes a big difference...as does having the right support

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options

Hi @Smm ,

I don't have Perthes but did manage to find some former threads on here though, to be honest, not all are relevant. https://community.versusarthritis.org/search?query=perthes&scope=site&source=community

For what it's worth, both I and my husband have had both hips replaced very successfully.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Smm
    Options

Hi stickywicket,

Thanks so much for sharing these and glad that the hip replacements went well for you both. I'm holding no expectations given previous experiences so if it goes well I'll be pleasantly surprised!

All the best

• Smm
    Options

Pleased to say that's the first hip replacement done and true what people say- very successful surgery. Was a bit complicated due to the previous impact of perthes but amazing how much things have moved on in 30 years. The NHS really work with you and do an incredible job with the resources they have. I'm sure they will move on even further in the next 30!

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options

Morning Smm I think I do know what Perthes is no googling necessary!

Only because my own daughter got Avascular Necrosis in her hip thigh bone and shoulder necessitating surgery when she was 18 and 19.

Her blood supply was cut off to the femoral and humeral heads due to chemotherapy at a crucial stage in their growth. Same result. Luckily only one hip one shoulder. Also very very glad she survived the cancer too to be fair.

I'm so glad your hip op has gone so very well. I also have to say Here Here! To our NHS they do a fabulous job.

Toni