Mask Query

Options

Hi all

Yesterday I had a hospital appointment for a non psoriatic arthritis issue and the doctor I saw was puzzled as to why I was still wearing a mask even though he would have seen in my notes that I take methotrexate and adilmumab. I haven't been informed by rheumatology if there has been a change in guidance and wondering if anyone has been told to carry on wearing a mask or told they no longer need to wear one.

Hobble

Comments

• Loggiemod
    Loggiemod Member Posts: 220
    Options

Hi @Hobble that's strange because I went recently to the hospital (non-arthritis) and docs (arthritis) and both times told to put on a mask. Seemed to be standard practice. I guess it varies as to which hospital etc.

• Hobble
    Hobble Member Posts: 83
    Options

Hi

That's what I'm finding confusing. The appointment I went to was an ENT appointment and I was the only one wearing a mask. There are mask dispensers and gel in the main corridors and some clinic waiting rooms even have the seats set apart. I think the hospital rule is do whatever you want 🙄 The rheumatology clinic is the only one that insists on masks as no doubt aware of the immune issues but other drs don't seem to be bothered even when they run through what medicines I take.🤷‍♀️

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 711
    Options

Hi @Hobble

I don't know where you live but here in Scotland the Scottish Government issued a statement withdrawing compulsory mask wearing in health settings from 16th May 2023. Even prior to that I've found health professionals wearing face masks extremely patchy this year. When I attended my covid booster appointment in April none of the health staff were wearing masks - despite the spring booster being for over 75s and those with immune system issues. In the last two weeks I've had to attend hospital on 5 occasions as - believe it or not - first my wife and then myself had burst blood vessels internal to an eye. None of the health professionals in A&E or opthamology were wearing masks - which considering they are up close and personal to your face is crazy.

Also as far as health professionals reading your notes in advance of seeing you - in my experience that does not happen. I saw an orthopaedics consultant last month for my hand issues and he casually mentioned my RA - I have PsA. As I'm now classed as having comorbidities - PsA and heart issues - I also keep a list of all the drugs I take, including their dosage and frequency, as a list on my phone which I show to the medic as soon as I'm seen.

• JJJBBB
    JJJBBB Member Posts: 3
    Options

Despite the removal of Mask mandates when I raised this with my Rheumatology Nurse she advised I should continue to mask and to ask those treating me to do so.My GP surgery has removed mask mandates but when I have my monthly blood tests the HCA masks without me asking.

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 797
    Options

Hi @JJJBBB

welcome to the online community,so good to see you posting and enjoying talking to others,it is a bit confusing about masks and the wearing of them,as far as i know they are optional wether you wear them or not.

Take and keep in touch and please continue to chat and ask questions.

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• CG3
    CG3 Member Posts: 7
    Options

My experience has been that Rheumatology doctors are continuing to wear masks as are those nurses/HCA’s taking bloods for Monitoring. Outside of the MSK dept doctors ask me if I would like them to wear a mask and I always say ‘yes please’. I was told to continue to wear a FP22 mask anytime that I am indoors apart from my own household. My daughter continues to wear a mask on the days that she is in the office (2 a week) and when she goes into a shop, in order to not catch infections that would put me at risk.

• Pearshape
    Pearshape Member Posts: 2
    Options

I've just picked up on this thread as I have recently been diagnosed with PMR and put on prednisolone steroids to suppress my immune system. No one including the rheumatology consultant has mentioned wearing a mask and neither was I advised to do so last year when I was visiting oncology following my mastectomy. Perhaps it does depend on the hospital? Either way it seems unclear what's best as the standard blue masks give little to no protection according to the nurses I spoke to anyway. Only the FP22 masks are best protectors. Should I wear these ? 🤷😷

• mosborn11
    mosborn11 Member Posts: 30
    Options

So I've noticed that doctors and nurses at hospitals have stopped wearing masks, and it seems to be only a few people who are still opting to wear them (which seems mental to me). I am exempt from masking because of other health conditions and still wear a lanyard which says so, mainly because I just want people to know that I would be masking in solidarity if I could.