Options
Sharonf100
Sharonf100 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hello everyone

I've joined the group just to be able to chat to people in a similar situation.

I've had problems with my knee since Sept. I've not even seen a GP yet, just a trainee and physio. When I asked for a xray the Physio just said I can tell it's arthritis and a xray isnt necessary. But i think i have damaged my knee aswell as arthritis.

Looking forward to chatting

Love Shaz x

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 754
    Options

Hello @Sharonf100

Welcome to the online community.

You have had problems with your knee for a number of months and the physio says it is arthritis but you have not seen a GP yet for a diagnosis. When you have seen your GP you are likely to be prescribed pain relief if required and given advice about exercises to retain your mobility. Whether it is damage and not arthritis or if it is both, you could still do with a medical opinion so that you are clear about the most beneficial treatment .

I attach some links which I hope you will find useful

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/knee-pain/

There is a lot of information and discussions on the forum so do browse round and join in with us. We look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Best wishes

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398
    Options

Welcome @Sharonf100,

@Poppyjane is spot on, you need an Xray or MRI not only to confirm a diagnosis but to give your GP and Physio accurate information about how advanced any Arthritis is and whether it's worse in one area or another. From there a GP can prescribe anti-inflammatories and painkillers and a physio can put together a tailored plan of exercises for you to follow. in your knee - if there's some left then steroid injections could work wonders. Additionally, an XRay will show how much cartilage is left.

Besides all that - it's not upto a physio to decide whether an Xray is needed or not, that's your GP's job so I think your best course of action is to book a call with your GP, say you're suffering with ongoing knee pain and stiffness, you've seen the physio who suspects Arthritis but would he or she authorise an Xray to confirm a proper diagnosis and prescribe anti-inflammatories and painkillers in the meantime?

Whatever you are prescribed will only take you so far - so much of managing your condition will be down to you from diet, physio, exercise and pain management. There are some fantastic resources on this website to help you through your Arthritis journey, I hope you find your time here helpful.

Best,

jon