New diagnosis hip osteoarthritis, advice please

Options
Belle28
Belle28 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hello, I'm looking for some idea of how to navigate what to do . I am 45 years old and towards the end of last year I emailed my doctor to explain that stiffness and discomfort and tightness in my left hip had been bothering me on and off since lock-down. I was sent for an x-ray which revealed mild to moderate osteoarthritis of the hip. I've not had any follow up and I've been managing it as I had been previously (with exercise and supplements). I was quite shocked to get the diagnosis at a relatively young age, however I was born with hip dysplasia which apparently put me at greater risk. I emailed my doctor yesterday, as on Tuesday my symptoms got worse (I think I overdid the exercise after gardening). I can manage the discomfort without painkillers, but it's the mobility issues that get to me. I had to lift my leg to get in the car, going upstairs is a struggle and sitting down is painful. I know I have to adjust, but I am struggling . I love being active and I am also a teacher (with challenging kids) so always on the go. I have been resting when I can over the past few days and I feel a mild improvement, so I am hopeful this is just a case of having overdone things. I was however a bit put out at the lack of advice from my GP. They did try and call me, but I was teaching so unable to take the call. Then they emailed and basically just sent me a link to a self-referral form for a physiotherapist and closed the case. I just feel a bit abandoned without any information and it seems like i just have to get on with it. I told my GP that my main concern was managing this long term and being worried about having to take long term pain medication, but that wasn't mentioned in the doctors reply. I would really appreciate any advice as I feel a bit alone at sea right now. Thanks

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 796
    edited 26. May 2023, 14:21
    Options

Hi @Belle28

Welcome to the online community,glad you have found us and asking for help.

You write that you Recently been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in the hip and you are seeking advice and guidance on how to proceed as you feel your GP after the initial diagnosis have not been very helpful with their after care as you are not yet at the stage for a hip replacement.

here are a few links that may help

Hope these help in some way.please keep in touch and tell us how you get on and do chat to others on our forums.

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223
    Options

Hi @Belle28 I self referred myself to an NHS funded physiotherapy service. Had a number of face to face appointments and carefully followed their advice and exercise programmes. After about three months we agreed that the exercises hadn't resulted in any real improvement so they referred me for an x-ray following which I had a hip replacement in late 2021.

I think you should definitely follow the self referral route. The physiotherapy service I received was excellent. Even though ultimately I needed a hip replacement, their recommended exercises helped build the muscles to better support the hip before and after the operation.