Managing pain in both knees without painkillers

Options
ALW
ALW Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi, I'm guessing other people will be trying to manage their pain without painkillers... I've had long term severe IBS and after a huge effort managed to get rid of it with a very careful diet and following nutritional advice. Severe OA in both knees started 3 months ago and I can hardly walk and my sleep is really disrupted. Taking even one ibuprofen tablet creates gut havoc and has no effect on the pain. I'm waiting to get steroid injections but until then have been using cold and hot packs - both work at different times. Does anyone have any thoughts, advice or other ideas, it would be much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 794
    edited 26. May 2023, 16:23
    Options

Hi @ALW

Welcome to the online community,great you have contacted us

You write that you have OA in both knees and have IBS which you are managing yourself without pain medication and ibuprofen ,you are waiting for steroid injections.you would like any thoughts or ideas from others.

Hope these help please tell us how you get on and do chat to others on our forums.

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options

I've had both knees replaced, admittedly not totally without painkillers (though I've always take as few as possible) and I would definitely recommend the links Mod @Chris_R has given. Exercises are the key for me and doing them now will keep your knees in better shape for any forthcomimg ops.

You've done brilliantly to sort out your IBS. I hope you can keep it at bay. NSAIDS such as ibuprofen are notoriously tough on the stomach. How are you with straight painkillers such as paracetamol?

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398
    Options

Hi @ALW,

Managing pain without meds is going to be tricky and I can certainly understand your dilemma given the IBS.

There's some great information on this site about pain management but from personal experience I can nominate the following for you to check out:

1: A TENS Machine

2: Acupuncture

3: FlexiSeq Gel, Hemp Gel, Dyclonufec gel (Voltorol), Capsaicin cream, Red Tiger Balm

4: Bromelain pills, CBD sprays and capsules

5: Compression stockings and knee supports

#5 are very good to use whilst doing physio and exercise, I wear mine all day, every day.

Hope some of these might help, alas there's no silver bullet.

Jon