tibia fracture during knee replacement surgery - has anyone experienced this?

melrex29
melrex29 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi.

I had partial knee replacement on 18th April. During surgery my tibia split and was pinned. This has meant I have been non weightbaring for the last 6 weeks.

NHS waiting lists mean that my extra 2 week post op check is not happening until this week.

I know this is really rare risk (less than 1%) but did anyone experience this same? I am doing all the non weight baring exercises I can and being supported by a lovely physio but she can't get me to do the next step until the hospital clear me. I am conscious that I am 6 weeks behind in using my knee and a positive story from another will help me.

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 791

Hi @melrex29

Welcometo the online community,great you are asking questions about your split Tibia during and operation for surgery on your knee.

I havent heard of this myself,but you are doing all the right things to aid your recovery.

Do go onto our forums everyone there is welcoming and give good advice where necessary.

Please keep in touch and tell us how you get on.

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Gosh @melrex29 you ahve been unlucky!

I know I don't read every single post here, but I have been a member for a long time and this is the first time I've heard of this happening.

I am so sorry you must have been miserable not being able to recover the way everyone else did after their THRs.

I very much hope the consultant has removed (or does if you've not yet been) your restrictions and you and the physio can take you to the next level.

Well done for doing everything else you could.

Toni x

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

Like @frogmorton , I've not heard of this happening before. My own knee replacements have gone really well. But I just wanted to send what I hope will be a bit of reassurance. I got my first TKR in 1981. Back then, they kept you in bed, or in a chair with your leg up, for, I think, 10-14 days. I have, and had already, RA in most joints and, when i was finally allowed up, for a walk round my bed(!) I honestly thought I'd never walk again. My ankles were ***s. But i did and that knee lasted 27 years before being replaced.

Of course it's best, as we now know, to get started on the exercises asap but you clearly have a determined attitude and I'm sure you'll make this thing work. Don't try to rush things. be guided by your physio.

My elder son got Osgood Schlatters Disease as a very sporty young teenager. This was explained as a vertical split in the bone, just below the knee, caused by a lot of exercise (cricket, rugby, football) during a quick growth spurt. He had to bowl leg breaks (not steaming in fast as usual) all summer but made a total recovery to the point of still playing cricket into his 40s (back to steaming in fast!) and now, in his 50s, helping to coach his son's baseball team. He still has a little bump below his knee to remind him but that's all.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright