Joined today

Options
Trish13
Trish13 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hello

I found this forum via the NHS website and am looking for some advice. I have had pain off and on in the lower part of my right thumb joint for some years and there is a hard swelling there. If I don’t overdo things, I can usually manage the discomfort but in recent weeks, the pain has become more severe, more frequent and travels down my thumb. I’m now experiencing pins and needles in the hand and some weakness. In addition, I’ve started experiencing a nagging ache in my upper arm, shoulder joint and across the back of my shoulder.

I had a GP appointment today (over the phone - heaven forbid he actually sees patients in his surgery!) and he was very dismissive saying it sounds like osteoarthritis and mentioned carpal tunnel and said he would prescribe ibuprofen gel! How can he tell that’s what it is without seeing me and running tests?

Has anyone else experienced this dismissive attitude and been diagnosed over the phone without having any tests done? Are there tests which can confirm that it is osteoarthritis and is there an alternative treatment rather than just taking pain killers?

It’s left me feeling very frustrated and emotional and I would really appreciate some advice. Thanks.

Comments

• SharminB
    SharminB Moderator Posts: 90
    Options

Hi @Trish13,

Thank you for joining the forum and sharing with us. Sorry to hear your experience with your GP and diagnosis. While OA can sometimes be diagnosed through a physical examination of the effected joint, blood tests and x-rays can also be part of the diagnosing process to help see what the joint looks like and rule out other conditions.

There are alternative treatments for managing arthritis, pain and symptoms. Pain clinics can be helpful to explore complementary and alternative treatments and therapies. You can ask your GP to refer you.

Our 'Living with arthritis' forum space can be helpful to read about others' experiences. I've linked it below. And please don't hesitate to call the helpline if you'd like to one of the advisors 😊

Best wishes,

Sharmin - Mod

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 529
    Options

Hi @Trish13

Applying any form of gel to aid pain in your thumb/hands is totally useless in my opinion as we are constantly washing our hands throughout the day. You could apply it at bedtime to get more benefit but I would suggest wearing a fingerless glove/compression gloves over it to stop the cream residue getting in your eyes or mouth.

Do you have a surgery physio? If there is one in house ask if you can book an appointment with them. What you really need is some x-rays on your hand/wrist so see what's going on in there. If it is carpel tunnel you need to have some nerve conduction tests to diagnose it.

If the pain is at the base of your thumb it could be that you need a trapeziectomy - I had one in 2020 and the best thing I ever did. I had a brilliant GP at the time who sent me for x-rays and as I was under a surgeon for something else, he looked at my hand and xrays and referred me to a hand surgeon who was my hero!

Your hands are tied until you've had a proper investigation so put your suit of armour on and insist on xrays and a referral to a MSK team if you don't have an in house physio. Please feel free to shout if you need anything that I might be able to help with.

Good luck!

Trish xx

• Trish13
    Trish13 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thank you @Trish9556

It's so frustrating as our GP isn't the most approachable and does the bare minimum. Unfortunately, he's the only GP in our town so I think I need to put my big girl pants on (or a suit of armour!) and insist on further investigations. I know there are a lot of people much worse off than me but I use my hands for so much and I would be devastated if I had to stop doing the things I love when there is perhaps a solution.

The main pain/discomfort is the point at which my thumb joins my wrist and a large hard lump has formed there over the years but it has been manageable. What isn't so manageable is the pain that now shoots up through my thumb and the pain/ache in my upper arm, shoulder joint and across the back of my shoulder. When I went to the pharmacy to collect my prescription for the Iboprufen gel, the pharmacist said he didn't think the pain in my hand was connected to the pain in my shoulder and I should ask for a CT scan. I think I definitely need to go back to my GP and insist on further tests.

Sadly, we no longer have a physio at the practice. What is MSK?

Kind regards

Trish13

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,015
    Options

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 529
    Options

Hi @Trish13

As per Peter's note above, MSK stands for Muscular Skeletal Team and most GP's now have to refer patients to these teams, or variations of, to be assessed by a Physiotherapist who can order more tests (MRI's, CT Scans, Surgeons etc) and help you that way. I would insist on an xray on your hand initially but maybe the easiest thing for you would be to find a physio close to you and seek an assessment with them? I understand you can book an appointment with a physio via the Patient Access app?

Either way it sounds as if you're going to have to see your GP in person to get any further :(

Love n hugs

Trish xx

PS let me know how you get on

• Sandycat
    Sandycat Member Posts: 4
    Options

It does sound like Osteoarthritis at the base of your thumb. You definitely need a referral to Hand Therapy/physio for proper assessment and advice

Good luck with your GP but insist on a referral

• Sandycat
    Sandycat Member Posts: 4
    Options

It does sound like Osteoarthritis at the base of your thumb. You definitely need a referral to Hand Therapy/physio for proper assessment and advice

Good luck with your GP but insist on a referral