Natural alternatives to pain relief

Options
Johnboy54
Johnboy54 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi , my name is John

I have lived with Arthritis for many years now both in my lower back and both knees .

my doctor just throws pills at me and hopes I will go away . One pill for pain and another to protect from that one and so on .

I am sure you have all been down this road before 🤷‍♂️

I just would like to hear people’s comments on natural pain remedies and how effective they are and what you can recommend that might improve my quality of life .

I would be grateful for any suggestions on things you may have tried

many thanks for listening to an old fart rambling on 🤪👍

Comments

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 400
    Options

Hi @Johnboy54,

Another old fart here, also suffering with Arthritis in both knees!

Since being diagnosed I've researched into loads of natural pain remedies and there's a section on the website here about pain management which includes some which is well worth reading up on IMHO.

For me, I find these to be the most effective:

1: Natural Anti-Inflammatories

Turmeric, Bromelain capsules, and in terms of diet, I eat a lot of onions, garlic, eggs and oily fish

2: Natural painkillers

CBD oils, gummies and tablets, 5KIND Hemp Gel, Voltorol 12 hour gel, Red Tiger Balm, FlexiSeq gel, Capsaicin Cream

3: Other

Ice packs, a TENS machine, deep tissue massage gun, hinged and elasticated knee supports, Acupuncture

I did find some things really didn't agree with me,Glucosamine and Cod Liver Oil were the 2 most noticeable - they made my legs hot and achy and I'd get sharp stabbing pains plus my tendons would "ping" without warning and a knee would give way so as I always say, it's a case of trial and error.

Cheers,

Jon

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,480
    Options

I would add my trusted microwavable wheatbag to that and some MSM gel which my husband massages in for me.

I know exactly what you mean @Johnboy54 about pills you get from the Dr 🙄

but sometimes they have to be taken too😕

Take care

Toni