Hello from a previously quite fit 64-year-old

Options
LucySW
LucySW Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi there.

I'm 64, have Type 1 diabetes, but am fairly active (I cycle or do an exx programme daily, and love to trek. A recent knee injury set me back a lot, and I just got a diagnosis of incipient OA in both knees from an X-ray. So far I don't feel the arthritis except for stiffness, and tiredness after walking, but staying mobile is my strongest health concern, because it keeps me happy and sane as well as controlling my T1. I also have osteopenia/borderline osteoporosis and am taking biphosphonates for that.

So I really, really, really want to stay mobile. The doc says that how quickly OA deteriorates, or whether you get it in any other places, really depends on the individual, so I've resolved to be positive and am trying to set up a consistent exercise programme.

Is anyone else in a similar position?

Lucy

Comments

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 400
    edited 2. Jun 2023, 14:26
    Options

Hi @Lucy and welcome to the Forum, I'm sure you'll be formally "welcomed" by one of our lovely Admins in due course but in the meantime I just wanted to write with some assurance.

I'm younger than you at 56 with severe OA in both knees and on the list for a double total knee replacement but like you I'm very active, in fact it was high impact sport (running and badminton) which caused my condition. The irony is that it's an active lifestyle that's going to be the way to manage your condition.

As affected joints weaken, the advice is to strengthen the surrounding tissue and muscles to help prop you up and this is done by physio and exercise. I made an appointment with the physio attached to my GP surgery for a tailor-made plan to follow specifically aimed at stretching and strength-building, there is also a good number of these on this website to swot up on.

I've found effective pain-management is absolutely key in enabling me to do the physio and all the sport I now enjoy because I've swapped running and badminton for cycling, weekly Spin classes, daily walks and gym sessions on the treadmill, stairs machine and static bike.

There is a lot of information on this site about managing Arthritis, it's worth a read because so much depends on self-help. Apart from any GP-prescribed drugs there's a plethora of natural painkillers, anti-inflammatories, dietary changes, treatments like Acupuncture and equipment such as knee supports, deep tissue massaging guns and TENS machines. It's all a bit trial and error and always worth speaking with a GP or Pharmacist before taking or doing anything but if you get it right you may be able to manage your condition without surgery and lead a pretty normal life doing what you want to do.

Good luck - you're already a step ahead of the game with what you're already doing!

Jon

• Wenwoo
    Wenwoo Member Posts: 16
    Options

Hello Lucy

I’m type 1 too and got diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and Palindromic Rheumatism in September. I’ve been doing Versus Arthritis exercises on YouTube and found them helpful. I’m almost 68 and was very very active too I have Osteoarthritis in my hips…….. Wendy