Hydroxychloroquine

Options
Cosmos
Cosmos Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hello.

I have had rheumatoid arthritis for 30 years for which I am prescribed Methotrexate and Diclofenac. It has now been suggested that I stop the Diclofenac and take Hydroxychloroquine. I have read that this can cause tinnitus. As I already suffer from this I am wondering if taking this will aggravate it further. Does anyone have experience of this?

Thank you.

Cosmos

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 798
    edited 2. Jun 2023, 16:59
    Options

Hi @Cosmos

Welcome to the online community,so glad you found us.

You write that you have had Rhumatoid Arthritis for 30 years and prescribed Methotrexate and Diclofenic, it has now been suggested that stop Diclofenic and take Hydroxchloroquin.

reading that it can cause Tinnitus which you also suffer from already you are wondering if the change in medication couls aggravate it further,does anyone experience this.

Maybe you should ask your Rhumatologist or the nurse wether it would aggravate your tinnitis further.

someone may know on the forum and is suffering like you so chat on the forum and see what turns up.

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

I've been on it for years with no tinnitus and I don't recall others mentioning it on here. But it's understandable that you would be anxious.

Is your rheumatologist aware of your tinnitus? Hydroxy is considered to be a mild DMARD and probably has fewer dangerous side effects than your current diclofenac.

I'd have a chat with my rheumatologiost. Maybe with your lòcal pharmacist as they're very good on such things.. I'd do that then suck it and see. Good luck.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Wenwoo
    Wenwoo Member Posts: 16
    Options

Hello Chris, I take methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine and also have mild tinnitus and I’ve not noticed any difference tbh, been on it since September…….Wendy

• Jen888
    Jen888 Member Posts: 2
    Options

hi everyone, i am not a new member, but have not posted for many years. I have had JIA for 60 years 😱 and have in recent years had Rituximab infusion yearly. Because of personal circumstances, i cannot cope with this at the moment, my rheumatolist has suggested trying Hydroxychloroquine. I could not get on with methotrexate, and have tried several biologics. I am wondering if anyone has if not similar experience, have some thoughts on this drug . JENNY

• Memo
    Memo Member Posts: 3
    Options

hi
    due to start soon . Has anyone had real success with this . I guess you need to be on it for a good three months to see benefits

Many thanks

Gilly