osteoarthritis

Options

New to this Web site, I have osteoarthritis in both knees and shoulders and both hips I can handle the pain, but am now having pains in my elbows not bad pain went to my doctor told him he said its tennis elbows because they can't see swelling in my elbow he doesn't think its osteoarthritis I think it is but am not the kind to harass the doctor I wait till it get worse before I go back the doctors am with never ask me how am doing with osteoarthritis its just keep taking the pain tablets and that's it .its like you got it now get on with it so I do is their anyone on here feels the same

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 684
    Options

Hi @bill1965

Welcome to the versus arthritis forum. 

You have OA in multiple joints. It sounds like you’re on top of the pain management side of things. I’m sure that many on the forum will be able to relate to your comments about just having to accept and get on with it. 

If you haven’t already visited our website, these links may be of interest:

I hope you find joining the forum beneficial and reassuring that there are many who feel the same as you do. 

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options

Hello @bill1965

You don't know how many of us are too accepting of what our Drs tell us! It's so hard being assertive even though i think these days it's what we need to do.

I tell you what I do. Like you I initially accept their judgement.

Then I go away and do stuff to try to help myself (if it's stomach I keep a food diary for example and eliminate certain foods for a while)

With your elbows I would try their painkillers and anti-inflammatories either tablet or gels.

I would also do exercises like these recommended on here

then you can almost prove you need their help.

Write down how often the pain is and when and what it's stopping you doing. If it's affecting your sleep etc

I also take someone with me (less likely to be fobbed off that way?) and ask questions like - what tests can I have to see what's going on?

Good luck and be brave ((()))

Toni

• Gattus
    Gattus Member Posts: 2
    edited 13. Jul 2023, 13:32
    Options

I have osteoarthritis in my knees, I used to walk with a stick.

Now - having been taking Tumeric/Black Pepper/Ginger 2 capsules away for 18 months, no longer

need a stick. Hardly any pain now. I too used to take co codamol but got vertigo from it!

[xxxxx]

Product removed as advertising and against Community Guidelines, Peter (moderator)

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,015
    Options

Hello @Gattus and welcome to the Community, I hope that you enjoy being a part of it.

You might find the following article from our website of interest.

Also have a look through the links above.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

Best wishes,

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• N1gel
    N1gel Member Posts: 161
    Options

@bill1965 Well I've definitely got OA in my left elbow, the scans proved it; whereas the right elbow scans showed 'really quite a good joint'.

My GP told me the left was 'tennis elbow' but I don't think he knows his elbow from what he sits on! and it was an occupational therapist flagged it up so he had to refer me. I'd had twinges in that elbow for years but I think she observed the range of movement.

It's not really painful, mainly because I've learned to compensate, and I wear a bamboo elasticated joint support which also keeps it warm and the blood flowing.

From my experience, it's the lack of movement is the key indicator because pain comes and goes in the right elbow.