NISD's and Methotrexate

Options
SJK59
SJK59 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Dear Community

I have recently been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and thought this forum would be a very good source of support and information. I have been placed on Methotrexate, only one week so far. However, I also have osteoarthritis of hip and knee so have been taking Paracetamol, Dihydrocodeine and Naproxen. Although the RA nurses have not told be to stop Naproxen, from the information given it seems as if I should. However, some on-line information is very confusing, some say a def no other say you can be with caution.

Can the community help clear up my confusion.

From a very confused in pain person. 😏

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 979
    Options

Hello @SJK59 and welcome to the online community,

I understand you have recently been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and have been prescribed methotrexate. You’re finding that some of the online information about taking it along with the other meds you are on for osteoarthritis of the hip and knee is confusing. There is certainly a lot of information on line about medications- not all of it correct, so it’s best to stick to reliable websites such as the NHS website and our own Versus Arthritis one. I’m glad you’ve found this forum - all our members have experience of living with arthritis and are a good source of support and information. Everyone is really friendly too!

The medication Methotrexate is a disease modifying drug that has proved to be very successful for many people. However, it can take up to 12 weeks before you start to feel the effect, so this could be why you are still in pain. The other drugs - paracetamol, naproxen and dihydrocodeine - will deal with the pain more quickly, and you can generally take them together with methotrexate, but if you have concerns about taking them it would be best to speak to your GP, rheumatology nurse or even your pharmacist.

You might like to have a look at the information page on methotrexate website from Versus Arthritis. It discusses how it works, side effects and interactions with other drugs

Do let us know how you’re getting on,

Anna ( Moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• SJK59
    SJK59 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thank you for the advice, it is all a bit daunting at first. 🙂