Post right TKR, right hip problem now

Options

Had right TKR 9 February. I am told I am doing well with knee by Physios. I have arthritis in right hip also and over last few weeks I am aware of stiffness there, confirmed by physio yesterday.

I have been referred and have first appointment 5 July. The hospital is about 45 minutes drive away. I am not driving and husband is on cancer treatment. I have asked surgery today if it can be changed to nearer home.

What pain meds can I take, as weaned myself off codeine and ibuprofen, just take paracetemol. Not strong enough. Not sleeping well.

Comments

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @SueA

Thank you for posting on the Online Community. I am sorry to hear about the pain you are experiencing, which is affecting your sleep, and the stiffness which has now developed in your right hip due to osteoarthritis (OA). It is good that you have an appointment arranged for this in July but it’s frustrating that it is not at your nearest hospital and your husband is unable to help with driving due to his cancer treatment. It may be possible to arrange hospital transport. Other community transport options may be worth considering, such as Dial a Ride. Maybe you could ask the hospital or GP surgery about this.

I am glad to hear that your knee replacement went ahead, as it can be a long wait for surgery and sometimes operations are cancelled at the last minute. It sounds as if you are progressing well with your knee and the physiotherapists have given you good feedback.

It is understandable that you chose to stop taking the strong pain medication prescribed. However, strong pain medication is usually only prescribed for a short period of time after surgery to help your recovery and rehabilitation, so that you can do the recommended exercises and walk more easily to help regain your mobility and independence. It should not cause long term harm. It may help to restart the medication prescribed as paracetamol alone isn’t enough to control post-operative pain. It may help to talk this through further with your GP or the hospital.

I hope the information given below will be of some help. 

If you would like to have more replies to your post, you are welcome to repost on our Living with Arthritis forum which is another source of support to ask questions and share experiences with others facing similar challenges.

Best wishes,

Fiona, Helpline Advisor