Septic arthritis/ juvenile idiopathic arthritis

Options
Lecky
Lecky Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

My 2 yr old started limping badly without injury at end of march, took to a&e who only looked at her ankle and said probably minor sprain, limp continued ,always worst when she got up, month later I realised her knee has hit and swollen and took her to a&e again...temp 38.5, given 5 day course of antibiotics. Week later realised that as well as limp getting worse, especially in the morning, I couldn't straighten her leg, took to a & e and they x-rayed her knee, no break. Referred to fracture clinic. Limp got worse so went to go who said next day fracture clinic could do fastest referral for MRI but she didn't think it was a break and she has lost 10% of movement in knee. Fracture clinic s referred her, so now just have to wait. On waking it takes her ibuprofen and Calpol and an hour on sofa to even try and walk now and then she needs support for both hands till about 11 am...she's been walking since 8 month so usually runs.

What else can I do to relieve her pain? Should I be getting her to walk or rest? Is there anything else it could be?

Can't believe it's ok for a 2 yr old to be in pain for so long and so little be done about it 😥😥😥

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,015
    Options

Hello @Lecky and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that your child has juvenile idiopathic arthritis. we have some information on this which might be of help, and also we have our Young People and Families Service, see the links below:

and

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on

With best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options

@Lecky

That's outrageous! Have they even done bloods??

Your poor, poor little one!!

You can try a couple of things to help her a little (they help me) one is heat. A warm microwaveable wheatbag or warm bath. Sometimes cool is better that's an ice pack/bag of frozen peas inside a tea towel.

After I have had my painkillers (when I am flaring) and they have had time to be doing the best they can I do some very very gentle range of movement exercises.

Just gently very gently. I find if I am flaring not using the joints allows them to 'stick' in position, but your daughter is so very little. I wonder is it possible to see your GP's physiotherapist for advice at all?

Also I would think about maybe ringing the helpline here.

tel:0800 5200 520

Please do let us know how things are going ((())) for you. My own daughter had leukaemia i know how helpless you feel as a Mum. We should be able to kiss everything better shouldn't we?.

take very good care

Toni x

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

There is nothing worse than having to watch someone we love suffer. If they are a child it's twice as bad. If they are a young child, incapable of really explaining or understanding, it's the stuff of nightmares.

I've had RA for years. I've read your post several times and I'm wondering how you got the diagnosis of septic arthritis / JIA. I think it could only have been from a rheumatologist but you don't mention a rheumatologist. If you haven't seen one, do insist. If the diagnosis is from a rheumatologist then my guess would be that your little girl can't start on Disease Modifying Anti Rheumatic Drugs (DMARDS) for the JIA until she's off the antibiotics which are dealing with the septic arthritis. This can take a while but, if she's finished the antibiotics, do get back to the rheumatologist (at the very least to the GP) to try to speed things up. Again, purely a guess, but I'd say don't leave her with neither DMARDS nor antibios as, if you do, I don't see how anything can change.

And, while you're waiting, do keep up with the very, very gentle Range of Movement exercises. Your little one is learning some all-important life lessons all too quickly. I feel for you both.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

P.S. (And I'm sure you're already doing this.)

Lots of cuddles, lots of stories (while being cuddled) and lots of children's songs (they don't mind, at that age, that you're a rubbishy singer.) When my younger son was 2, and my RA very bad, after lunch we'd sit together in an armchair and I'd read / sing to him (Morningtown Ride and Brahms' Lullaby were favourites) until he fell asleep, his head always over my heart. I think the heartbeat helps.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright