First time poster

Options
ChrissieR
ChrissieR Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hello

I have recently received a diagnosis of Rheumatoid arthritis, I won’t lie…I’m struggling to get my head round it. I am terrified of what the future holds and as terrified of taking Hydroxychloroquine which has been prescribed.

Everything I hear about RA sounds so negative and horrendous, I need some hope. Please can anyone share with me any positive stories of their journey with RA.

I am 54 years old, and should be excited about my first grandchild arriving in the world sometime this week, instead I feel anxious and stressed all the time. I received confirmation of the diagnosis 9 weeks ago.

Christine

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,633
    Options

Hello @ChrissieR

Welcome to the online community. I see you have a very recent diagnosis of Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) and are really struggling with the diagnosis. You also feel quite understandably apprehensive about taking medication, Hydroxychloroquine, for it.

I hope it helps to understand that everyone struggles with a diagnosis of a long term condition like Rheumatoid Arthritis and that every emotion you are feeling is totally 'normal'.

Can I suggest you have a read of these two links?

The first is for anyone Newly Diagnosed and is just so helpful:

The second is Anathi's story:

The very good news is that there are so many medications available to Rheumatologists these days and starting on treatment is the first step you yourself can take towards getting your disease under control.

You might want to take a look around the rest of the forum now you have introduced yourself. Living with Arthritis tends to be the most popular after 'Say Hello'.

My very best wishes I am sure that the arrival of the 1st grandchild will be wonderful.

Ellen.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    edited 13. Jun 2023, 09:38
    Options

Hi @ChrissieR

lovely to meet you. I am so sorry you are joining us lot here.

I was like you and my first med was hydroxy too. I was terrified I thought my life was over and I'd be a wheelchair user within months. I refused to plan anything in case I was too ill to go. I became an Arthritis bore to my friends and family, who are also worried and fearful just like us. I thought I would embarrass my kids and ruin my husband's life.

Then luckily i found this site and annoyed these guys instead. I cried and cried when I rang the helpline, but they were wonderful as was everyone here.

I am here now over 15 years later still standing pretty well and doing just fine. I am just back from a car rally in Luxembourg and off to France in our motorhome soon.

I did embarrass my kids ( only as all parents do!!!) but nothing else came true.

Be brave you are not alone with this ((()))

and enjoy that baby when he/she comes

Toni x