Tricky knee

Options
veryaraf
veryaraf Member Posts: 37
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

I have been googling and this describes somewhat how I felt but the reference I saw was Webmd.

Start my patches tomorrow. Have been taking cocodamol but although I react to some meds I am hoping these might make a difference.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

I've never heaard of a 'tricky knee' but WebMd is a reliable U.S. site. Good luck with the meds. ( but don't forget the exercises!)

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • veryaraf
    Options

Thanks for answering. Sadly I can’t do exercise without someone else doing it hands on. I am 81 with 1 dodgy hip and 2 dodgy knees etc etc. different generation. Did gyms and static bikes, gardening etc years ago. It is like youngsters walking around with bottles of water, we weren’t encouraged to do that way back. The physios I have seen talked a lot and gave me papers with pictures on, but minimal encouragement. I am at an age when I just want to survive life. It is a family thing - my sister and even my eldest daughter in her 50’s has joint problems. I appreciate the support the site gives. It proves there isn’t just one answer to everyone’s problems. There is a lot of rigidity and ‘passing the buck’ in the health service. Thanks again.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

"I can’t do exercise without someone else doing it hands on"

Could you explain that, please, @veryaraf? I don't get your meaning. Do you mean you want someone with you? If so, try our Let's Move With Leon exercises. With the video it does feel as if someone is with you.

I really don't know how I'd have stayed upright without my knee exercises and they certainly made for a quick recovery after my replacement ops. In my experience, what you describe is what physios do. They determine what we need, give us the exercises and the rest is up to us. Do give it a try.

i had to smile when I read " I am at an age when I just want to survive life.". Well, none of us will ever do that😁 I'm only 5 years younger than you and, if you mean you want to enjoy it, I'm 100% with you. i do the exercises, say 'yes' to everything I can and don't fret about what I can't It works for me.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • veryaraf
    Options

I appreciate your concern, help, and suggestions. My joint twinges started in 2017. Actually I have deteriorated faster in the last 12/18 mths, hence my name tag. I can’t stand upright even holding onto something, in fact I can’t move at all without holding onto something for support. Not having the ops won’t have helped but they can create problems in themselves. Anyway I have applied the first patch on my arm this morning. I have looked at the Leon videos but can’t see me doing those especially as I live alone. My main pain comes from sitting to standing and then moving forward. Time will tell.

Regarding physios. Because they mostly have not experienced the pain etc, their experience of how we feel is limited. One just dismissed me over the phone. I think physiotherapy mostly works after operations and when you are younger. Thanks for listening and encouraging.