Sulfasalazine / psoriasis

Options

Hi all, I was previously taking Methotrexate but was taken off it due to me starting with emphysema (Methotrexate can apparently accelerate emphysema). Highly frustrated with that because Methotrexate was so good for me, with no side effects. I felt like I never even had arthritis and it completely cleared my psoriasis too.

Since coming off Metho, my psoriasis has returned with a vengeance!

I've been on Sulfasalazine for 5 weeks now and I'm not seeing even the beginnings of my psoriasis getting better, let alone my arthritis.

How are others finding Sulfasalazine? I appreciate it can take up to 12 weeks to kick in, but I thought I would have at least started to see signs of improvement. Has Sulfasalazine helped with your psoriasis as well as arthritis?

Many thanks, and good health 😁

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options

What a nuisance having to come of your MTX😕

It was controlling your skin as well as your arthritis I bet you're upset.

If it doesn't help there are other DMARDs which might help more. I hope you ahve an apt with your rheumatologist booked in?

Take care

Toni x

• N_Corsini
    N_Corsini Member Posts: 6
    Options

hi!

I am currently on methotrexate and sulfasalazine for psoriatic arthritis (I also have plaque psoriasis) and I have not seen any improvement. My rheumatologist added sulfasalazine in May and since, my symptoms have actually gotten worse.

hoping your symptoms subside and you start getting some relief! I would contact your rheumatologist or nurse to discuss the treatment if you’re concerned. I will be doing the same tomorrow to see what can be done moving forward.

wishing you the best 🙏🏼