Newly diagnosed

Options
Conchetta
Conchetta Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi my name is Conchetta and I have recently been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I am 53 and until a few months ago I was very fit and active. At the moment my knees, elbows and wrists are very painful. I have been prescribed Methotrexate and I have been taking it for 5 weeks. I had a steroid injection at the start of the treatment. The relief from the steroid injection has worn off and any benefit from the Methotrexate has not manifested yet. The two consultants assured me that with time and the correct combination of drugs I would be be able to do some of the activities I used to. At the moment I would be really pleased if I could walk. Please can anyone who has been through this assure me that there is light at the end of the tunnel and what I can realistically expect? Thank you.

Comments

• Louisa77
    Louisa77 Administrator Posts: 252
    Options

Hi @Conchetta

Welcome to the our community, you'll find we are supportive friendly bunch.

While you are waiting for other member to come and chat I thought I'd share with you some info about RA and Methotrexate and the other DMARDs which I hope will help you. You will read that they state it can take up to 12 weeks to start working.

Hope you start to feel some relief from it soon.

Best wishes

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• JenHB
    JenHB Member Posts: 133
    Options

Hi, I'm 39 and was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis at the end of 2021 when my left knee suddenly became very swollen. I used to be very active (earlier in 2021 I ran a marathon and just before my knee becoming swollen I had been on a week cycling holiday in Leicester). I have had the knee drained a couple of times now which has really helped with the movement and am on methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine. I'm slowly introducing running back in (now it's mainly run walk) and ran-walked my local 5km parkrun this morning.

At my first appointment I asked if it would be likely to be able to get back to running and the consultant was very much 'we want to get you back to being able to do what you want' (although at less intense level)

Hope this helps!

• Ferry
    Ferry Member Posts: 14
    Options

Hi that is reassuring that you are getting some more movement back. It is a hell of a thing to suddenly deal with this disease especially when you like me were so active. Sounds like you are doing really well and your treatment is working. Take care