Would like some support 😊

Options
rainbowluce
rainbowluce Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hello, this is my first post. I have osteoarthritis is my neck which I manage fairly well. However I now have joint pain pretty much all over. It’s come on rapidly, over a few months. It affects my sleep, my job, hobbies and recently mental health . I’ve been trying to get a diagnosis but feel fobbed off by my GP. I can’t get an appointment for weeks and the last blood test two weeks ago was “ normal” . my body does not feel normal. If I had a diagnosis I could manage symptoms but feel very much in limbo and not taken seriously . Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 797
    edited 26. Jun 2023, 14:17
    Options

Hi @rainbowluce

Welcome to the online community,glad you have found us.

You write that you have Osteoarthritis in your neck and have managed quite well up to now as the pain has got worse in your joints and you feel that your GP is fobbing you off and you cant seem to get any where with a diagnoses and pain relief.Unfortunatly this happens to a lot of people,you can always ask for a second opinion,otherwise keep on asking for an appointment with your GP to see if the practice can refer you to anyone else that can help you.

Meanwhile here are a few links that may help

Please keep in touch and tell us how you get on and do go onto our forums to chat to others it often helps.

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Brewbag
    Brewbag Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi, indeed I have. I have had long standing problems with shoulder pain that discovered the primary cause was my neck and stenosis of my cervical spine following an MRI. And sleep is a major problem to me also. Once I lay down to sleep it’s not long before I experience acute shoulder pain that wakes me. I then have to try and sleep sitting up more with x3 pillows behind me. Our pain clinic physio made suggestion about purchasing a goose down pillow to better support my neck which I have done. Initially it felt a little on the hard side but it’s softened and I think it does help me specifically (as she suggested it might) when laying on my side in supporting my head and neck better. Sadly my shoulder pains have worsened over time limiting what I can do so am not able to play my guitars as often as I’d like. Guess like any chronic health problem you have to pace yourself. It’s thought my neck and shoulder pain is neuropathic and was prescribed methocarbamol which I think has helped but you can’t take it all the time but should, as was advised today by my gp to have a week break from it once in awhile. I am very new to this community (just joined in last hour) so apology if this is rather long winded.

• Alchemilla
    Options

Not much help to you, but just to say yes, I feel rather fobbed off too, and have a similar story. Saw a practice nurse recently (no doctor available) after I had swelling of one hand and pains all over for several days. Blood test showed nothing but slightly low sodium, and I was told to have another blood test in 3 months. That was it. I was surprised as looking online I got the impression one would be sent off for scans to try to see what was going on. But the NHS does not seem to be coping any more. 🙄