How to deal with chronic muscle pain that’s not in their joints?

Options

Hiya! I’m new to this, 24yrs and was diagnosed with RA a year ago. I’ve got bad muscle pain which apparently isn’t the rheumatoid but it’s like I keep straining things so easily - was wondering if anyone else can relate? I’ve found the chronic pain on trying to do normal activities one of the worst bits to deal with, because it’s not something the rheumatology team seem concerned about even though it’s having a big impact on what I do. I’m in London and don’t have any friends going through similar so it can be a bit isolating as people don’t really understand, as I look well.

Comments

• CarylW
    CarylW Member Posts: 274
    Options

Hello @Beth27

I am so glad you have found our online community. We are a supportive and friendly group, and I am sure our members will be able to share their experiences with you so you don't feel so isolated.

I understand that you have been diagnosed with RA, and you also have muscle pain which is apparently not related, but is having a big impact on your life.

You may find there is information on our website which is helpful, and I am posting links to a couple of articles below which may be a good starting point:

Please do keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on. Keep posting - we will always try to help.

Best wishes

Caryl

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398
    Options

Hi @Beth27 and welcome to the Community.

Whilst I don't have RA (mine is OA in both knees), I can share the things I do to help with my muscle and tendon pain.

I bought a deep tissue massaging gun off Amazon, there's lots for sale at different budgets but I think they all work on the same principle with different attachments. I use one which looks like a Squash ball to rub up and down my affected muscles and tendons.

Like many sufferers I use a plethora of gels and creams to ease stiffness and reduce pain/inflammation. I like 5KIND Hemp gel (sold online directly from the 5KIND website), Voltorol 12 hour gel and Red Tiger Balm, the latter is a bit pongy but it works for me. I use a TENS machine daily which provides instant relief and the effects can last for several hours and take CBD capsules (derived from medicinal grade Cannabis). wheatbags are good for muscle pain too.

Hope there's something there which might help you to feel more human!

Jon